Groaning/Creaking when turning

supreme_style21

I've got this creaking/groaning noise coming from somewhere in the front end when I turn the wheel. It almost sounds like something is rubbing quite badly, but it doesn't happen all the time, although it is getting to be more and more common. Any ideas on where to start investigating?

hmm...sounds familiar...everytime i come to a stop i hear this creaking noise in the left front of my car somewhere... :roll: ...i'm not sure what it is but i'm guessing its something in the suspension...yours might be a similar problem... :?

hmm...sound familiar...everytime i come to a stop i hear this creaking noise in the left front of my car somewhere... :roll: ...i'm not sure what it is but i'm guessing its something in the suspension...your might be a similar problem... :?

When I first heard it, I thought the same, as it does need new strut mounts, at the least... I'm sure it needs more than that. The damn thing produces such an awful, bone-jarring ride.. maybe it is just the FE3, but shit is it a ROUGH riding car! But those problems are for another day.

I parked it and turned the wheel and it was a definate groan.. I almost want to say it is surely something rubbing, but I'm not 100% sure just yet. I can almost feel something through the steering wheel, but I don't dare say.. it might just be my mind playing tricks on me. Plus I haven't quite figured out all of this cars' "personality traits" as we'll call them :roll:

the creaking could be ball joints, heres a question: how cold is it there?

reason being that if the strut cartridge has a shitty seal, water will get inside the strut, if its really cold (below freezing) that water will get solid, and the ride will feel like you're riding in a dumptruck. food for thought.

the creaking could be ball joints, heres a question: how cold is it there?

reason being that if the strut cartridge has a shitty seal, water will get inside the strut, if its really cold (below freezing) that water will get solid, and the ride will feel like you're riding in a dumptruck. food for thought.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt the frozen struts. Its been between neg20 to 40 degrees lately.

Ball joints though... When I had the intake gaskets done, they mentioned the right lower balljoint. I looked at it.. while it had a little play, there was no emergency behind it, that I felt. I didn't know they would creak. I thought they always popped in turns.. maybe I'm thinking of tie-rods. This brings me to another, possibly related/unrelated problem.. There is a LOT of side-to-side sway in the front end. Especially noticed at higher speeds. Bumps are met not only with the up/down jounce, but side-to-side swaying.

Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

Only if I physically stop the car and turn the wheel, I can feel a slight rub. Otherwise, when moving, I feel nothing.