Ceramic Pads

Darksyde

Anybody have these? I've heard alot about them. I know most OEM's have them now. The aftermarket ones are a harder compound and i heard they tend to chew up rotors. Any truth? Just wondering before i buy a set.

They are quiet and have a longer than normal life expectancy, but they stop like shit. It could be debated that they warp the rotors, too.

I put a set on the wife's Loomie (Summer of 03) and a year later the rotors were warped. The pads still had a ton of beef left to them, though. I think it was the hard composition that killed off the rotors...

I've had the NAPA ceramics on my car for eight months or so now and I'm happy with them. There's no sign of the rotors being warped, very little brake dust, and great stopping power overall. That being said I also installed new calipers and HI-PO slotted rotors (from NAPA) at the same time I did the new pads. As previously noted, they don't stop the best when cold, but that issue goes away after the first stop of any trip.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

I've got AC Delco ceramic on mine, 3 years and 80K, great performance, quiet and no dust. 2 sets of cheap rotors in 3 years, but that's normal for any car in a salty environment like around here.

Care to run down a proper procedure for ceramic brake pad 'break in'?

In all my searches on the internet, I have yet to find one aside from 'just drive normally and make a few stops to make sure they work'.

find a decent run of road, get your car up to about 105-115 or so give or take a few mph. Then when your balls start getting larger slam on the brakes as hard as possible. Now if the car stops and stays straight the pads are perfect and continue driving. Now if you swerve to the left you must have installed them improperly. Remove and check. If you swerve to the right it's just bad driving, blame yourself. I hope that helps anyone who was searching for proper break in procedures.

hey...

the problem with Ceramic pads is if you get cheap rotors that you'll end up with more problems.. warped rotors, longer stopping distances, and other damage to the rotors from the harder compounds...

if I keep this GP that I just got, I'm picking up a set of "dampened iron" rotors from Napa, and ceramic pads all 'round, along with new tires, and tons of other work...

anyhow, Ceramic pads = good but only with the right rotors.

--Dave.

find a decent run of road, get your car up to about 105-115 or so give or take a few mph. Then when your balls start getting larger slam on the brakes as hard as possible. Now if the car stops and stays straight the pads are perfect and continue driving. Now if you swerve to the left you must have installed them improperly. Remove and check. If you swerve to the right it's just bad driving, blame yourself. I hope that helps anyone who was searching for proper break in procedures.

Brilliant. When you lose control and skid into a power pole, you'll know they work great.

No No No you see that's where your wrong. If you skid into a pole they don't work correctly. Read the post before criticizing it. Besides i thought sarcasm was a well adapted tool on this board. Sorry if i was mistaken.

I see I see we may be in trouble i wish we could have caught it before it spread to far. But as you say it has dipped to other boards. So who knows how far it may spread. I think phpBB should create a filter so things like this wouldnt happen.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I put Napa Ceramics on my Expedition. No dust, no cold stopping issues, no noise, just stop. I cannot speak for rotor wear cause they have only been on 500 miles. They were definately worth the money IMO.

If they can stop a 5500 lb SUV, a car should not be a problem.

Glock