Rack replacement advice?

Intlcutlass

I will probably have to do this soon... I have to warm the car up for 20 min before going anywhere so it's not whinning on me when I get in.

Out thru the pass side well

Drop the cradle 2"

Anyone have any advice for me here?

Just be sure that the rack is the problem....

I haven't seen a rack fail on a W yet (cross fingers) mostly older 88 or so Lesabres, and the bigger GMs.

I would suspect a pump, or a blocked, or restricted pressure line first, definately cheaper, and easier to replace. Unless your rack is leaking fluid, then you probably do need to replace it.

If the rack IS actually bad you can tell while driving the car. If while turning the wheel, it is easy to turn, then as you continue to turn, it gets much harder, then possibly easier again; that would indicate a rack problem. If you just hear a whine while it is cold, I would suggest making sure the fluid is full (duh) and make sure the pump isn't what is making the noise.

Tell us more symptoms and we may be able to guide

I've done this job.

"my advice to you is to drink heavily"- name that movie.

seriously though, it is and it isn't a terrible job, although, I swore tons. The chiltons manual will tell you to disconnect the subframe to allow it to slide out...my car (my old 89 cutlass, a car forged by satan) having seen its share of northern NY winter duty was a rust pile underneath, and those bolts were staying put, and rather than strip/break them, I just left them alone. I wiggled and wiggled that bastard out, and the new one in...it can be done, but it takes time. The biggest bitch as I recall was the rubber grommet at the base of the steering column...have fun with that buddy.

best of luck,

~Ben

More symtoms question....

The noise,... the whinning part does come from the pump, but I was told that if it was the pump, that the noise would not goaway, but in my case... it does... after the car is warm.

I completely agree with you... buy the cheap/cheaper and easy to replace iems first, but am still prepairing for the worst. That always seems to be the case. :lol:

With someone in charge/with a garage/2 2ton jacks/wood planks.

We changed my subframe and rack in under 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Not considering the 2.5 hour wait to find someone to run to the dealer for new frame mounts because I didnt realize how bad the existing ones were.