What does your turbo sound like?

90TGP

If I accelerate slowly to the point where I can reach just before 0psi on my boost gauge, my turbo sounds like a circular saw. :shock: I swear to god, it sounds like a circular saw, at least from inside with the windows down.

On another note, could that be a sign of a turbo about to kick the bucket?

Guest TurboSedan

well i don't have my TGP powered Cutty done yet so i can't comment on that...but the turbo in my GTS has an audible 'ZING!' and then 1-2 seconds later i get sucked back into my seat :D i still use the stock airbox setup so it's fairly quiet otherwise, even with my complete 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, no cat & Ultraflo muffler. i never hear that famous "flutter" sound, nor would i want to :shock: from what i have read on this and other forums people actually like that sound, which is nuts because compressor surge is not a good thing. my GTS 1g DSM BOV is pretty loud too; it's on the lower intercooler hose pretty close to the turbocharger.

my brother has 3" exhaust on his Shelby, and the "ZING" is definately louder on that car. his BOV is alot more quite since it's on the upper IC hose.

My turbo on my STE is loud as hell. Its about 10 times louder than the one on my dads TGP. You can hear it pretty much all the time. I know thats not really a good thing, but people always ask me if I have a brake dragging or something. Then there are the people that bet me money that it has a BOV when I tell them it does not...I've made a lot of money on that deal. :twisted: I have a video from when I dynoed it basically stock (no cat, K&N filter) and even on 6psi you can hear it over the engine at 6k. I would post the video, but its the entire Michigan Grand Prix dyno day, with 50+ cars, so its like 200mb. It does have both of our TGP's and my dads 315whp GTP on it though.

Shawn

Post up the vid shawn! I would download it when I get home.

If someone provides a host, I have no problem posting it. I don't have a host, and I'm pretty sure I can't get one that will support 200mb for free. The video doesn't show anyones results besides Zooomers 4.1L GP GT, so you have to guess what all the cars put out. It just shows their pulls. It cuts from one pull to the next, to the next. But its entertaining to say the least.

Shawn

Post up the vid shawn! I would download it when I get home.

If someone provides a host, I have no problem posting it. I don't have a host, and I'm pretty sure I can't get one that will support 200mb for free. The video doesn't show anyones results besides Zooomers 4.1L GP GT, so you have to guess what all the cars put out. It just shows their pulls. It cuts from one pull to the next, to the next. But its entertaining to say the least.

Shawn

So the whole video is 200mb? Jesus. Size it down to something at 100mb or below and you've got a deal.

Well, its like 170mb or so. I would size it down, but I don't have any programs capable of doing that on my computer. My video editing computer is all torn apart right now due to it getting some upgrades, so I can't easily do anything with it right now, my other computers are ungodly slow and don't have any programs that I know of that are capable of making it smaller. However, the vid is like a half hour long, so thats why it is so large. Afterall, it is over 50 cars, each doing at least 2 pulls, that does take time. The club was there for like 10 hours or something like that. It was quite a day.

Shawn

Well on the GTU it had a nice zing and went to a bellowy whale at high rpm and boost. I swear...it gets quieter at higher rpms.

On my bros Ford T-bird Turbo..it sounds like a Semi! open DP, cold induction. At idle..you can hear the turbo spin! Prrrrrsh.

My turbo sounds, um, like a turbo. The T25 makes a slight whistling noise when just cruising around town, sounds pretty good at WOT. I actually heard a turbo civic in my neighborhood today(somewhat a rarity in my little ass town, but not so much in the larger neighboring cities), it had a pretty loud turbo on it...came by and the guy got on it and I heard it spooling because me and my bro' were in the yard cleaning his 92 Mustang GT. I was hoping they'd come back and ask to run the Mustang. :wink: Although, they would probably back down once they hear it roar to life. :twisted:

Here are some video's of my roomate's Turbocharged Probe GT.....

1st Gear Pull

TPGT vs Beretta, 10 mph

TPGT vs Beretta, 60 mph

His setup include a T3 60 with a external wastegate that dumped to the atmosphere...it sounds a bit weird at times. :) Plus a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with a Borla XR-1 muffler.

The car never ran at the track with the turbo....but you can see what he did to me. Plus, he held a Audi S4 all the way to 100 mph from about 20 mph.

Guest TurboSedan
Wow road in iTurbo's lancer the other day. It sounded like a semi's turbo. :lol: I don't remember hearing much turbo in malibuold's gts.

yeah Jeremy's Shelby Lancer is definately more noticeable. that would be because the Lancer has full 3" exhaust and i only have 2.5" exhaust. both cars are 2.2 T2 and both use the same Garrett T03 though.