3.4 DOHC loosing oil

Sailor77

I have a 94' GTP and I use about a quart every 700 miles or so because of the goddamn o-ring. I have never seen any evidence of burning oil though, if any it is very little if the engine is in good condition.

My DOHC used to burn oil at startup in the morning. Not a lot, but you could see a little puff of blue smoke as I took off. It was usually down a 1/4-1/2 quart at the oil change.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sure is.

I don't remember the size exactly, but it's the same size and thickness of the battery cap o-ring of a large Maglite flashlight (maybe a little thicker wouldn't hurt). Remove the clamp that holds the pump drive unit down, lift it up a little, clean everything out with brake clean, and stretch the o-ring over the oil drive and underneath. The tighten down the clamp. It will never leak again.

Well, at least not for a long while.

This repair has worked for many customers of mine, and I've never had anyone comeback with it leaking again.

Jason

Right on, brother. That's one of the best repair tips for the 3.4's ever! Dealers charge $500-$600 to change that seal, because they pull the head. Suck...

Jason

My 95 Cutlass has 151,000 and has consumed 1 qt of oil every 3,000 miles since I purchased it when it had 34,000. Never noticed any smoke or any leaks that I could not identify. Suppose its just the nature of the beast. But if anyone does know why, please post!

in a tsb I read @ work it said abnormal oil consumption is about 1.3 qt per 1000 miles..... I will print it out and post it...... it said something about replacing the front and rear valve covers to reduce oil consumption if everything elce checks out good.....

these motors just "use" oil like gas I guess...

im normally dead nuts @ 2500miles on my 95 GTP.....

• 2 weeks later...

I lifted mine up and put high heat gasket maker underneath it and let it dry while I continued working on other things. Clamped it down the next day and no more leaks.

I still consume 1 quart every 5000 miles