Valvetrain

Carotop

Guest TurboSedan
like i've said to others before, quit making shit up and quit trying to put words in my mouth. :roll:

whatever Kevin :roll: if you don't have any real input than just shut up. that's all i'm asking.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carotop

• 93CutlassSupreme

• gp90se

• 95 3-4

like i've said to others before, quit making shit up and quit trying to put words in my mouth. :roll:

whatever Kevin :roll: if you don't have any real input than just shut up. that's all i'm asking.

:confused: mmk..... :skep: :yak:

it might be possible to do it from the side...take the wheel off and such...same method as doing a UDP Pulley

i'd have to see if theres room...if not just drop the engine cradle until you can pull the cam out

it might be possible to do it from the side...take the wheel off and such...same method as doing a UDP Pulley

i'd have to see if theres room...if not just drop the engine cradle until you can pull the cam out

Yes, you can pull it out under the fender, but that requires you to drop the cradle far enough that you have to start disconnecting steering linkages and all that crap. (you would have to drop that side a good foot or more, the cam is WAY up there) I did exactly what some people were guessing in above posts. A 2 1/4" wholesaw to the inner fender. I don't see why this is such a problem for everyone... When you're done you put a flat piece of steel on the back and spray a little undercoating in there, and your wheelwell looks normal and keeps water out of the ECM area. Worked nicely for me. It probably would be less work to pull the engine out, but I don't have an engine puller or anything like that and I wasn't exactly sure how exactly it would need to be done. I knew I could do it the way I did it without problems, so thats what I did.

My pics:

http://www.seacgp.org/mr4pasnu/pict0048.jpg

http://www.seacgp.org/mr4pasnu/pict0050.jpg

http://www.seacgp.org/mr4pasnu/pict0051.jpg

http://www.seacgp.org/mr4pasnu/pict0052.jpg

Shawn

I wouldnt go as far as to put a piece of steel over it, a nice rubber grommet would suffice for me since the bodies are filled with rubber body plugs from the factory anyway

Ok thanks dbtk2. And you got a crane what type of lift and time does that have?

The cam I have has .427 intake and .454 exhaust lift with stock rocker arms. I'm putting in 1.6 rockers as soon as I can figure out the best way to get the stripped bolt in my valve cover out, then it will be .455 intake and .484 exhaust. However, there are lots of other cams available, I got this one because I didn't want to mess around with getting a custom ground cam and this was the only one available that I liked the specs of that was a "turbo cam." I would look at a Comp Cams 260 cam or Lunati cam or something similar to that for a N/A car.

Shawn

I did exactly what some people were guessing in above posts. A 2 1/4" wholesaw to the inner fender. I don't see why this is such a problem for everyone... When you're done you put a flat piece of steel on the back and spray a little undercoating in there, and your wheelwell looks normal and keeps water out of the ECM area. Worked nicely for me. It probably would be less work to pull the engine out, but I don't have an engine puller or anything like that and I wasn't exactly sure how exactly it would need to be done. I knew I could do it the way I did it without problems, so thats what I did.

Then why did you ask me how to do it. :roll:

For those of you that might want to do the cam hole some day here is what I wrote up for shawn(dbtk2)

cam hole.doc

It’s really pretty easy and well worth it.

Pull the cam out until the second bearing just protrudes from the block about 1/8â€Â. Using a straight edge lay it on the first and second bearing and mark the fender well in 5 or 6 places going around the cam. You can use anything for the straight edge. I cut a piece of alum flat bar to length.

Find the center of your marks and drill a hole no larger than 3/16. Jack the car up so the front tire hangs free, (you make have to take the tire off although I didn’t) drill a 2 ¼ hole with a bimetal hole saw. That will give you about 3/16 clearance on each side to allow for any inaccuracies .

Get a 36†all thread the size of your cam gear bolts. Screw it into the top hole of the three holes. Remove cam using the all thread to support the cam so you don’t bang up the bearings. IE cheap cam removal tool.

If you do gouge the bearings the first two are easily replaced and they will be the ones you will gouge. Use Chevy V8 bearings at least in the first. (I use then through out, there wider.) Just make sure the oil holes are lined up with the groove in the block.

To plug the hole in the fender I used .03 alum from the hardware store. Cut a circle 3 ¼ (I used scissors but shears would be easier) drill at least 4 holes equally spaced ¼ from the OD. I used 1/8 pop rivets to hold the cover on. If you use screws put them in from the outside. Locate the circle over the hole and drill and rivet or screw one hole at a time so they will all be lined up. Center punch the circle and fender for reference.

This ought to get you going. Let us know how it works out.

Finished pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/sleeperred90tgp/CamHoleInside1.jpg

Jud

Then why did you ask me how to do it. :roll:

For those of you that might want to do the cam hole some day here is what I wrote up for shawn(dbtk2)

cam hole.doc

It’s really pretty easy and well worth it.

Pull the cam out until the second bearing just protrudes from the block about 1/8â€Â. Using a straight edge lay it on the first and second bearing and mark the fender well in 5 or 6 places going around the cam. You can use anything for the straight edge. I cut a piece of alum flat bar to length.

Find the center of your marks and drill a hole no larger than 3/16. Jack the car up so the front tire hangs free, (you make have to take the tire off although I didn’t) drill a 2 ¼ hole with a bimetal hole saw. That will give you about 3/16 clearance on each side to allow for any inaccuracies .

Get a 36†all thread the size of your cam gear bolts. Screw it into the top hole of the three holes. Remove cam using the all thread to support the cam so you don’t bang up the bearings. IE cheap cam removal tool.

If you do gouge the bearings the first two are easily replaced and they will be the ones you will gouge. Use Chevy V8 bearings at least in the first. (I use then through out, there wider.) Just make sure the oil holes are lined up with the groove in the block.

To plug the hole in the fender I used .03 alum from the hardware store. Cut a circle 3 ¼ (I used scissors but shears would be easier) drill at least 4 holes equally spaced ¼ from the OD. I used 1/8 pop rivets to hold the cover on. If you use screws put them in from the outside. Locate the circle over the hole and drill and rivet or screw one hole at a time so they will all be lined up. Center punch the circle and fender for reference.

This ought to get you going. Let us know how it works out.

Finished pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/sleeperred90tgp/CamHoleInside1.jpg

Jud

I didn't know exactly how to do it before I asked you about it. I had seen your pics on the tgp forums, but couldn't remember what post I had seen them in and everything, and wanted to make sure I was doing it right...and I thank you a lot for your help with that. But what I was saying was that once I figured out how to do it that way, I knew how it needed to be done, and pulling the motor would've been a much bigger chore for me at that point.

And thanks again for you help...

For anyone wanting to do this, I basically followed his instructions except I just pulled the cam out by hand but did it very carefully to not scrape the bearings. I was successful in not scraping the bearings, but i was being very cautious and I would recommend using the 36" all thread like he recommended to make it easier. Don't remember why I decided to pull it out by hand, but i did. Also, I had unbolt the lower motor mount (basically directly under the crank pulley) and jack the engine up a couple inches to get the cam in a decent spot for drilling the whole. This may or may not be the case for you.

Shawn

Bump

Was there any tuning involved or was it pretty straightforward put it in and it worked???

I think theres more then enough instructions, id like to see you actually do something more then put gas in the tank :roll:

ahhahahahaha I don't even put gas in the tank cuz I don't drive so stop bein a bitch. And also I don't have money I'm just tryin to figure out what I wanna do with it.

ahhahahahaha I don't even put gas in the tank cuz I don't drive so stop bein a bitch. And also I don't have money I'm just tryin to figure out what I wanna do with it.

stop being a bitch....

cool like AIDS

First you should buy a dictionary. Then take a typing class.

I have intentions but their not gonna happen till at least this summer and maybe I like to plan ahead and not ask questions while I'm doing the job. Wouldn't that be an idea??

since your going to have questions, wouldnt it make sence to post while doing the job? W-Bodys are so simple to work on and straight foward, im not sure why you would need a message board. you are 1 of the true idiots on this site, stop posting.

Allah commands me to kill you sucka

edit: not really I'm sorry if I scared you

Oh yeah one more question are there any good connecting rods and pistons out there?