Cooling fans again

93 Grand Prix

I think I know why my cooling fans won't come on. After repalceing my temp sensor guage 2 times, I came to the conclusion that the computer is not telling them to come on. Also, I noticed that the primary fan comes on when I press the a/c switch. What do you guys think?

are you sure the primary fan is going on and not the secondary when the a/c is turned on. primary is the one that is to the left when your sitting in the car. and the secondary is triped bye the a/c being turned on and also after a certain temp. find the relay for the fan and test it to see if it works. if you changed the sensor the relay is probably the punk messing with you. good luck

93GrandPrix,

I've got the Helm manual in front of me, with a long dignostic flow chart... I can take photos and send them to you if you like (about 4 pages)... You did have another topic / post on this didn't you? I figure you'd want to fix this problem right and least time possible; and since I don't know the whole story, figured you would know best on your car. Get back to me, if you would like the schematics.

- RedFox340

i bought one of those gm code readers ( it uses the engine light on the dash to blink out the computer codes ). i noticed that with it plugged in both fans come on full speed !

i have had problems with temps since the a/c went and it 'seems' to be related to fans ( as above they replaced sensor twice and relays but it still didn't seem to work... )

i did notice that it if reached in and spun the fan blades by hand they would start spinning ( maybe a bearing problem ?... )

soooo, until i get the problem identified if the temp starts going over half-way i pull over and plug in the code reader to crank the fans....

it says in the manual for the code reader not to drive the car with unit plugged in... is this true ? what could happen ?

93 Grand Prix-

Short pins A & B of the ALDL together with a paper clip. If both fans come on, all the wiring and components from the ECM to the fans is ok. The fan will not come on until 108 C (227 F).

this has come up before, i wasn't going to say something, but before someone rips their car apart.................

...there is nothing wrong with your fans! The prim.fan is the working fan. Car gets hot, prim.fan will turn on. A/C turns on, prim.fan will turn on.

But, you start to get a little too hot uder the hood, sec.fan will turn on.

The secondary fan is your "overheat" fan. You don't want to see it on!

Hope this clears things up