SPID F41 suspension??

bartonmd

Checking to see which suspension I have on my '92 euro 3.1 lumina... The only thing I found on the SPID that started with an F was "F41"... does anybody know what this is? OR if that's not the suspension designator for the Lumina, which is?

Thanks,

Mike

should have done an internet search before posting the Q, but I still have a Q...

I had always thought that the FE1-3 were oldsmobile descriptions and pontiac/chevy/buick had different ones...

The F41 seems like it's Chevrolet's "performance" suspension... is this right? It looks like it's what's on the cop Caprises and luminas and stuff... anybody know?

Thanks again,

Mike

I found on a Pontiac RPO Codes page this...

F41 SUSPENSION SYSTEM, FRT, RR, FIRM RIDE, HANDLING

and

FE3 SUSPENSION SYSTEM, SPORT

this is really confusing the hell out of me... I can't see this being an odd car... everything else is pretty normal... '92 3.1 euro 4-speed auto 4-door bench front seat, alum wheels, spoiler, etc.

I guess I assume that crosses to an FE1-3, but which one... I immagine the FE2 or FE3, because it seems to handle differently (better) than my dad's non-euro lumina with same drivetrain. I suppose I could go over to my parent's and check my dad's lumina out when he gets home on Wed, but not until then?

Does anybody have a '92 lumina that says FE1-3?

Edit: Also, this has twin piston front calipers and my dad's lumina has single... do all the euro's come with twin piston calipers?

I guess I assume that crosses to an FE1-3, but which one... I immagine the FE2 or FE3, because it seems to handle differently (better) than my dad's non-euro lumina with same drivetrain. I suppose I could go over to my parent's and check my dad's lumina out when he gets home on Wed, but not until then?

Does anybody have a '92 lumina that says FE1-3?

Edit: Also, this has twin piston front calipers and my dad's lumina has single... do all the euro's come with twin piston calipers?

All W's have twin-piston front calipers.

Here's some good info on decyphering the SPID:

http://www.w-body.com/spring-codes.html

http://www.w-body.com/rpo.html

not all W-cars have twin piston calipers, because my dad's '93 NON-euro 3.1L/4-speed auto has single piston calipers up front. Now I don't know if they're factory or not, but I couldn't immagine them not being... he knew the people who owned it since it was new, with service records and everything, and there was nothing in there about that. We just figured the euros had twin and the base models had single.

Mike

I'll check it again (would right now as I live a mile from my parent's house), but it won't be until Thursday night when he gets back from binnis trip. I just remember I said something about mine being twin piston and he was like "mine aren't" so I went and felt under the car and they were single... but I'll check again.

Anyway, I checked springs and the front are UX and the rear is SH.... that normal for any kind of "FE" package?

Thanks,

Mike

I think F41 is the Chevrolet equivelent to FE3.

Unless you also have FE3?

But I think FE3 is Buick-Olds-Pontiac.

FUX front springs and 0DJ rear spring is pretty standard, they're what you would also find on an Olds with FE3, so that reinforces my belief that F41 is the Chevy version of BOP FE3.

Yes, all first-gen W bodies have dual piston front calipers. Check it again, I'm pretty sure it's the same. I've never seen any service manual or parts catalog make reference to a single piston front caliper that fits.

On the other hand, Luminas also got other rarities other W-bodies didn't get, like Iron Dukes and variable fuel engines, so who knows.

so does anybody know what springs their 3.1 euro's have? and what suspension "package" they have?

thanks,

Mike

My 1992 Lumina Euro 3.1 (coupe) has RPO F41.

I have no idea what springs I have. I can check next time I'm underneath it.

Gnat, that's what I was thinking, because that's what the performance suspension package on the caprices and stuff is called. Thanks for the info...

I'll check on the brakes again when my dad gets home on Thurs. I could be wrong, but I'll check.

Iron Duke... all cast iron 2.5?? HELL YEAH, I had one of those in a Century... it blew ass... seemed to be fairly reliable as long as you kept it from overheating.

Paul, THanks for the info too.

THanks,

Mike

I have the F41 suspension as well, and my Lumina handles like a beast. I love it. Much more refined than my Grand Prix was, but I'm almost sure my Grand Prix's suspension was more for sport than the Lumina's.

GP, I don't know much about the differences, but I will say that it matters a BUNCH how new and what kind of dampers you have on the car... night and day.

I ordered yesterday... 4- 215/60-16 Yokohama Avid H4S and KYB GR-2 struts all 4 corners. We'll see how it handles after this :twisted:

I was pitching it around this morning on just 'ok' struts and SHITTY tires that came on it when I got it and it was scarry how fast I could to without any equeeling even with that setup... can't wait 8)

I am thinking it handles about as well as my buddy's Avenger ES right now though... this is gonna rokk my sox off!!! :twisted:

By the way, we had GR-2's on the rally car and they worked AWESOME! even put to that stress. Were still in good shape until the car was totalled in an 80mph 1.5 rollover.

Mike

I got stock size, but they're High performance All Season Yokos... They're rated AA traction and A temp though, with a treadwear of 500 (a similar tire, the Goodyear RS-A has A traction A temp, and a treadwear of 260)... Avid H4S HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!

They're not a REAL hard sidewall, but it's really hard to find a tire that lasts as long as 500 treadwear with AA and A. Most of that sidewall deformation can be taken care of with a tad higher pressure though.

Mike

Edit: My wife's '01 Neon has Eagle LS's from the factory... they're ASS in the rain even, and they're 360 A B... ass.

Edit 2: Scratch "ass" above... they're F-in SCARY in the rain!!! and don't even try it on the snow... they're OK in the dry though. I actually took her car out into the snow to mess around because it has a hand brake (I can do doughnut after doughnut in my '87 'bonne by holding the E-brake release and using the e-brake as a brake pedal)... anyway... I went up to this intersection in my neighborhood that I usually would 4-wheel drift at about 18mph in the show in the 'bonne... I hit it going 10 in her car and slid right past the intersection... I sat there for a minute... turned around and went home... it has so little traction in the snow with those tires, it isn't even fun to mess around in, because you can't get control back.

I did put the Perelli SnowSport 106 directionalle S (something like that) on it from the Rally car and it's now better in the snow than the 'bonne.