God damn the DOHC Timing Belt

JoroCorona

idle sounds like ass, power otherwise feels close to the same up top. John drove around like that and wound it up despite my pleas for sparing the motor. Didnt hurt anything but the noise it made didnt sound good.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoroCorona

• loominaz34

• ThunderBat

• HokemBokem

Alright, I believe ya now. I was running two 3 cylender engines. Heh, ran pritty good though! The most aparent thing was when the TC locked up on the trans you could feel the vibration in the power. Its power was alittle weaker at the lines and in my opinion abit stronger at the top. I retimed the belt and put new idlers and tensioner on and now I have no vibration.

• 4 weeks later...

So new question (that I didn't think needed a new topic for itself) but how do you turn the cam sprockets manually to line them up? mine seem tight or stuck. they turn slightly but go back to where they were. oh, and I had one of the covers off, and I also have no idea how to tell if the cams are up or down, am I stupid or just not looking what i need to look at?

I put a wrench on the nut in the center of the cam gear and very carefully moved it to where it needed to be, put the belt on and then used a spring clip to hold it on the belt in the right place. awkward? Yes. effective? Maybe.

The reason they seem tight is because of the lobes being pushed on by the valve springs. They'll be tight for about half a turn and then snap around to the same spot they were originally; very annoying. :evil:

hmmm, ok, I got that far. My problem now is how to turn the drive gear... I cant bump the ignition because something i have unplugged goes to it, and it's not moving with a socket. What did everyone else use to turn that and get it lined up?