[P] [R] [N] [(D)] [D] [2] [1]

skiiirt

I have the base cluster and the floor shifter for the automatic. Now I don't have the information on the cluster as to what position the tranny is in. EG

[P] [R] [N] [(D)] [D] [2] [1]

I have to look down to the shifter to see the gear im in. It looks like i have it on the cluster just nothing shows up

cluster.jpg

How do I fix this? Is it a led or do I have a shitload of work ahead of me?

It is just a cable driven needle.. In that spot, it is blacked out if you have a floor hifted car.. If you have a column shifter, it has the gear indications there.. Nothing is LED in these cars.. I was going to add anb LED setup, but I'm going 5 speed when the Automatic tranny dies.. Good luck! A lot of work is needed I believe to add an LED indicator..

i don't really see the fascination with the display on the cluster, my Spyder has the display on the cluster and the only thing that I find remotely useful is the 1-4 gear lights for "autostick"

270861_76_full.jpg

its purely lazyness. I know exactly where my shifter is its not that I dont know what gear im in. i'd rather just confirm it by lookin at my dashinstead of looking down.

I just figured it was "burnt out" or something.

what about on the UB3 w/ floor shifter?

I know at least 1 person has made the dash mounted display work with the floor shifter by using a small plastic tube and running some string or wire through it and attaching that wire or string to the floor shift lever. It's not real accurate, but should work.

I personally was planning on using LEDs as well, it would just look so much more cool. I was thinking about dual color LEDs where they are all lit green and the active one lights up red.

This could be done with the P/N switch from a 94+ which I believe has a 4-bit binary output to determine what gear the tranny is in.

Here's an idea:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/products.cfm/-/Category=119/category119.htm

Dakota Digital sells aftermarket gear indicators. They have a converter switch that ties into the gearshift cable for the older cars, the newer cars with the updated P/N switch can be tied into directly (using a converter box...)

I have the UB3 digital cluster with console shifter and I used to think that part of the dash was dead too! It bugged me for a long time before I realized that that part of the dash is only functional when you have the column shifter. :oops:

When I was a little kid, my parents actually owned a Toyota for some stupid reason. At least it was only for 6 months or so. It was an '87 Camry with a console shifter and it had the indicator on the dash too.

My '96 Olds had the floor shifter and nothing in the cluster. Now my '01 GP has both and I never look to be honest. I just know that all way up is P, Rev is down one, O/D is down three, so forth and so on.

[P] [R] [N] [(D)] [D] [1] [2]

BTW shouldn't it be: [P] [R] [N] [(D)] [D] [2] [1] ?

My '96 Olds had the floor shifter and nothing in the cluster. Now my '01 GP has both and I never look to be honest. I just know that all way up is P, Rev is down one, O/D is down three, so forth and so on.

[P] [R] [N] [(D)] [D] [1] [2]

BTW shouldn't it be: [P] [R] [N] [(D)] [D] [2] [1] ?

I know to put it in reverse, back up, and then just pull it into (D)

• 2 years later...

ok so i looked for a post on the question i have, but its not the same. On my 94 cutty i just did all 4 mounts for the engine and tranny and the engin sits like its supposed to, but is there a possible way to adjust the gearshift cable for the indicator on the cluster. (its a column shifter.) i never had this issue till i did the mounts but say when i put it in D it shows between D and N, and bugs me because when i tap the shifter to read D it drops into 3, anyone have any ideas how or why thi could happen. thanks in advance to everyone