Crank Position Sensor

White93z34

Its on the back of the block.

SUPER easy if you have a manual transmission instead of the ghetto booty automatic sitting there.

Just make sure the sensor doesn't break (mine did)..............if it does, you have to drop the pan......which means dropping the cradle......

well gp90se and i were talking and he thinks its not the CPS in said car, its also an auto.

what it does, it has one hell of a time starting then will stumble and miss do that for a while then die, could that be the cps?

After hearing whats going on.......

What sort of fuel pressure are you getting? I don't know the exact spec of the top of my head.......but it should be 35 pounds or so....with a increase of X amount with a snap of the throttle.....anyone have access to a service manual or AllData right now?

I'm thinking it could be a weak pump.........or a fuel pressure regulator not raising pressure enough.

Typically, a CKP sensor failure shows up as a cranks/no start or engine dies after hot, won't restart until cool (mine did this).

no idea i just looked at this car friday in the pouring down rain so i didn't have any time to troubleshoot it

going back monday to look at it again though

what sort of tool do i obtain to check fuel pressure levels?

A fuel pressure gauge. Sears or any auto parts store carries them.....fairly cheap and is an excellent tool to have.

It simply connects to the shrader (sp?) valve on the fuel rail....there should be a black cap over it.

ok so i'm gona assume that cps is getting ruled right out?

if so good.

i'll be sure to go back there and check the fuel pressure.

if thats in spec what else would you think it is?

If fuel is okay.....then its either compression, air's ability to enter/leave .......or ignition.

I would aim towards ignition....based on how the motor is acting up....you might have a TPS or MAP sensor acting weird....at this point, I doubt it.

I'd first take a look at your wires.....carbon tracking/tears/corrision.....then plugs........then you can move onto coil packs and the ignition module............and then the crank sensor........and then the PCM.

I know this sounds anal....but I HATE shotgunning parts.

I should of first asked.........are there any stored codes in the PCM?

mines black i think...

the guy who owns the car claims he just replaced the wires, spark plugs and coil packs

no idea if any codes are stored, that will bo one of the things i check when i go back

I've had problems like this on an 88 regal with a 2.8. If it missfires on startup, especially if it is humid outside, you most likely have a cracked coil pack. If it stalls after start up and the SES light comes on, it could also be a bad emissions hose hook up. (Little black hoses comming out of the throttle body)

This is probably a tad late, but a bad CPS should result in the car having about a 1:6 chance of starting. Basically the PCM doesn't know what cylinder is where, so there a 1:6 chance it gets it right, but even then it doesn't know the "exact" position so it will probably run like crap.

there should be a black cap over it.

Silver on most of our cars, actually :wink:

Are you on crack?

Both of my cars have black caps.

All of the newer GM's are black.

I'm actually trying to think of a silver fuel cap on a GM vechile...........I can't.