Getting a brand new cd player for Regal tommorow

HokemBokem

not cheep. you buy cheep you buy twice.

No way. I've done both ways and I've, suprisingly, had better luck with the cheap. Now I don't run 18 15" subs in my car... just aftermarket Eclipse speakers in the stock location, so I don't look for anything special when I buy a deck. I've had 2 Pioneers, both quite expensive in their time, and they've both taken a shit. Before that, I've had those 'junky' Audiovox/Rampage and Jensen stereos. I don't like to say it, but those 'junky' systems were a hell of a lot more reliable than the expensive Pioneers I've had. We've got some old Audiovox at work that runs the radio for the store.. its been running 24/7 for the past 5-odd years and it still works great. The current Pioneer I have, about 3 years old, is already heading downhill.. fast.

Pioneer DEH-P7600MP.

Great deck, good value, buy it on Ebay for less than $200 brand new.

I second that. That's what I have in my Regal as well. Do you have Steering Wheel radio controls? You'll need an interface from SoundGate. http://www.soundgate.com/products/remote-audio/gm.htm The one I bought for my Regal was the GM REMOTE1.5V4.

No way. I've done both ways and I've, suprisingly, had better luck with the cheap. Now I don't run 18 15" subs in my car... just aftermarket Eclipse speakers in the stock location, so I don't look for anything special when I buy a deck. I've had 2 Pioneers, both quite expensive in their time, and they've both taken a shit. Before that, I've had those 'junky' Audiovox/Rampage and Jensen stereos. I don't like to say it, but those 'junky' systems were a hell of a lot more reliable than the expensive Pioneers I've had. We've got some old Audiovox at work that runs the radio for the store.. its been running 24/7 for the past 5-odd years and it still works great. The current Pioneer I have, about 3 years old, is already heading downhill.. fast.

Never thought I'd see the day that someone recommends Audiovox or Jensen over Pioneer. :lol:

Oh well, times are changing and almost everything is a lot junkier than it used to be. When name-brand electronics were made in Japan, their quality was a lot better than now. Today, products still wear a Japanese nameplate, but is made in China. So it makes sense that the name-brand stuff isn't a whole lot better than cheap-brand stuff that's also made in China.

Not all products made in China is junk, but I've had to RMA and warranty more China-made products than anything else. I worry when I buy anything important like hard drives and it says "Made In China" on it.

Well I don't RECOMMEND it... if you can get a cheap Pioneer, awesome. Everyone else seems to have awesome luck with Pioneer, so I wonder why mine have always been junk. I've honestly thrown those cheap stereos in my car when I was younger, and, by no means are they AWESOME, they did the job. I can no longer recommend an expensive Pioneer. I expected my $450 CD player to last a little longer than two years. My previous one was around $300.. I think it was only a year before I chucked that one into the trash.

If you do get a Pioneer, I'd recommend getting one w/o the flip-down face. Thats where the main problem has always been with mine. Mine will occassionally not make contact when I flip it back up.. all the controls work, but the screen doesn't light up. I've cleaned the contacts numerous times and it makes no difference. The problem is getting worse every month. I have a few buddies with the same style Pioneer and they've all experienced the same problem.

Pioneer DEH-P7600MP.

I second that. That's what I have in my Regal as well. Do you have Steering Wheel radio controls? You'll need an interface from SoundGate. http://www.soundgate.com/products/remote-audio/gm.htm The one I bought for my Regal was the GM REMOTE1.5V4.

Where did you get it? How much??

Pioneer DEH-P7600MP.

Where did you get it? How much??

I got it from Logjam Electronics and paid $100 (U.S.)

I just noticed that SoundGate just came out with an interface for Pioneers that just plugs directly into the wired remote port! http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/soundrempiogm.html Bastards couldn't have come out with that 6 months ago?!? :bash: :guns: :cuss: :dammit: Oh well, the one I got works just fine the way I have it set up...

BTW, the Remote1.5V4 connects directly to the wired remote port of Alpine stereos only. All others must use the remote mounted infra-red emitter. I mounted my IR emitter in the pocket underneath the stereo (inside the stereo's install kit) and it works fabulously. Unlike the PAC SWIX, you don't need to program the Remote1.5V4 every time you cut battery power. You just set a few dip switches according to your car and make of stereo, connect 3 wires (switched 12V positive, negative, and the data wire for the steering wheel controls) mount the IR emitter and you're all set!

I just noticed that SoundGate just came out with an interface for Pioneers that just plugs directly into the wired remote port! http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/soundrempiogm.html Bastards couldn't have come out with that 6 months ago?!? :bash: :guns: :cuss: :dammit: Oh well, the one I got works just fine the way I have it set up...

Good find on the REMPIOGM!!! I had emailed both Soundgate and PAC trying to get them to come out with that. The Pioneers actually use the exact same protocol as Sony used to. A Sony RM-X2S wired remote actually controls a Pioneer perfectly. Funny thing is Soundgate used to have a wired interface exactly like this about 5yrs ago and then they discontinued it in favor of the IR version. So now they just re-released the old version of their SWC interface.

BTW, the Remote1.5V4 connects directly to the wired remote port of Alpine stereos only. All others must use the remote mounted infra-red emitter.

$100 is too much to spend on a Remote1.5V4. PAC SWI-X is the same thing for $60.

$100 is too much to spend on a Remote1.5V4. PAC SWI-X is the same thing for $60.
I looked into getting the PAC SWI-X, except you have to program the damn thing every time you disconnect the battery power with the original unit's remote. Another cool feature of the Remote1.5V4 is the "Source" function. On the DEH-P7600's remote, there are separate buttons for each source. The Remote1.5V4 alternates between "CD" and "Tuner" with each press of the "Source" button on the steering wheel. The way the SWI-X is set up, you would have to program 2 buttons on the wheel to select between "CD" and "Tuner," thus giving up one other function, whereas with the Remote1.5, everything functions exactly like stock...

What sucks about the SoundGate products, there are very few retailers that sell them. I went to many different audio shops looking for the Remote1.5 and the only SoundGate merch any of the shops carried were ground loop isolators. When I questioned the salespeople, most of them gave me a blank stare. Logjam Electronics was the only online store that carried the GM (Remote1.5) interface...

I looked into getting the PAC SWI-X, except you have to program the damn thing every time you disconnect the battery power with the original unit's remote.

Actually, that is not true. SWI-X stores codes to EEPROM so they don't get erased when you disconnect the battery.

Doing some research, I discovered the REMPIOGM doesn't allow the climate control feature to work on the steering wheel. :( Guess I'll have to use the SWI-X or both... then it will turn out I have as much invested in interfacing crap as the stereo itself!