3.1 to a 3.4 ?

camkos10101

I wont even discuss DOHC stuff here because its a "POS engine" to some. Ignorance runs rampant when it comes to the DOHC and I have no desire to convince people otherwise. More DOHC parts for me!

The only Problem I see with a 3.4 doch is if you dont change the timming belt.

How hard would it really be to Check on the belt every 10000 miles or so??

other then that I seems to be a good motor.

How ever I think if you have a 3.1L it would problably be easyer to add a Turbo or a S/C to it insted.

because if you going to changed everything for the 3.4 anyways why not go to a 3800 II s/c??

Thats what I was thinking...

The 3.4 isn't horrable. Yes, its a little more work than a 3.1, but you get more out of it too.

But if you are going to put in a 3.4 and switch everything over, why not save up some money and go with a S/C 3800? Much more power, and a lot easier to maintain. Money wise, you're probably looking at another $500-$800. You'll need a trans either way if you want to do it right (the final drive in the 3.4 is different than a 3.1, and the torque converter is probably different too).

Jason

Switch what over? Its a direct swap from a 91-93 car other than a few wires for the tranny. The later years just need the 3.4 computer.

Its a lot easier to swap to the DOHC over the 3800SC. DOHC has more potential than the 3800SC which is why I wouldn't do it. This thread wasn't about the L67 though.

I agree its easier to swap the 3.4 than the 3800SC. I feel that the 3800SC is a better performer for the amount of caash you put in it. Yes, this post wasn't about the L67, but "bang for the buck", I feel he'd be better off with the L67. A pulley, an air filter, and the car goes 14.5s all day long. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but lets see a 3.4 do that with about $200 worth of parts. Don't misunderstand though, I do think the 3.4 is a great engine, and they perform well. They just need a little more care.

Jason

Guest Anonymous
one thing i notice about this board is that you guys hate 3.4's.

Lets just say, you put in that 3.4 in your 3.1, and you'll never go back.

I don't have anything against the 3.4. I agree it can be a very good motor when taken care of. But it must be taken care of. I guess I do have a problm with the 3.4. Why the hell did GM have to put the alt. where it's at?

Having owned both motors, I'd take the 3.4 DOHC in a second, quirks and all. It's just a better advanced engine design and runs like hell to boot!

Actually kind of interesting to work on once you get used to it.

Bolt-ons are one thing. Head work / custom work is another. I could do head work to the 3800SC, reprogram the PCM, and I'd do 13s. This kind of arguement never ends.

Anyhow, forget I said anything...I don't want to be involved in "the 3.4 is the best engine around" arguement. It has its faults JUST LIKE any other motor, I know because I've owned one and I've fixed quite a few of them in the past. I've also worked on 3800SC engines. They aren't perfect either.

Money, reliability, and performance wise, I'd go with a 3800SC over a 3.4 any day. But thats just my opinion.

I don't want to be involved in "the 3.4 is the best engine around" arguement. It has its faults JUST LIKE any other motor, I know because I've owned one and I've fixed quite a few of them in the past. I've also worked on 3800SC engines. They aren't perfect either.

Amen again, they are both good engines!!!

-Tom

LOL! yeah no Ford vs Chevy type arguments heh.

Personally, I think it would be fun to own a 3.4 DOHC. So it needs TLC. So do Turbo motors. You mess around with a turbo and not take care of it and you launch it. After I sold the Sunbird Turbo, the guy who owned it after me spun a rod bearing, coked up the turbo, and cracked a head.

Head work? PROM work? for $200????

I assume you'd do the work yourself? I don't think you could get the heads rebuilt and given the kind of porting and valve job it needs for under $500.00. If you do have someone that would rebuild the heads, replace the valves and springs, do the cleaning, assembly, blue printing, and performance machine work on the DOHC heads for $200.00, you need to post the name!!!

go for it!!!!! i bought a parts car and had the swap done and running in 2 days. thats my big suggestion tho, get a parts car! that way you have the engine, trans, all the accessories, heater hoses, AC lines, power steering hoses, computer, harness, and the exhaust(at least the down pipe). yes all that stuff is different. my car is sooooooo much faster with the 3.4 it isnt funny. it feels like a different car now - and checking the timing belt is as easy as a couple 8mm head bolts.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I said "switch everything over". All that crap is different, exhaust downpipe, ps lines, etc.

And I know from personal experience about redoing the heads. If you replace the springs, guides, maybe even valves the stuff adds up quick. I was going to build a 3.4 before I realized it was going to cost a ton once everything added up. Although, the engine I had to rebuild wasn't perfect by any means. Oh well.