What could I realistically sell my TSTE for???

dbtk2

I am thinking about possibly getting rid of the TSTE. It probably won't happen, but I am wondering what you think I could actually get out of it. Here are a few details about the car.

*1990 Grand Prix STE ASC/McLaren 3.1L Intercooled Turbo

*Medium Garnet Red Metallic (factory maroon)

*74,000 miles.

*Factory Moonroof, No Leather, CD, or HUD

*The interior is in perfect condition except the headliner is falling down in numerous spots (what a suprise!). No rips/tears or stains in anything. Grey Cloth.

*Everything works as far as electronics and all that...the rear speakers don't work and its not the speakers, I think there may be something wrong with the stereo.

*The A/C needs to be recharged/converted.

*ABS Light is on and Brake light comes on for a second when you press the brakes, needs new accumulator I believe.

*There is one small rust spot inside the wheel well on the passenger rear fender, and there is a 1"X1" spot on the hood where the clearcoat has peeled off...have to be within a few feet of the car to even see it. Other than that the paint/body is in great shape.

*The radiator is about 3 months old, and the drivers side brake caliper is brand new (rebuilt).

As for modifications done to the car, here they are:

K&N Filter on Turbo & Breather on Valve Cover

Removed Catalytic Convertor

Magnaflow Mufflers

AC Fins in front of Intercooler Removed

TopGun 160 Chip

160 Degree Thermostat

The spark plugs and ignition coils have about 1k on them (if that), and the wires (7mm Ac-delcos) have about 5k on them.

It will have aftermarket trailing arms in the very near future (not sure which ones) 'cause the tires rub on them. The tires right now are 100% worn out, but the car will have new tires by the time I sell it if I decide to do so.

As my sig. says, it has run a best of 14.695 @ 94.49 in the 1/4 mile...that was with a crappy (IMO) 2.228 60' time. It is capable of 14.4's as it sits easily with a decent launch.

Transmission shifts smoothly, and even with the stock crossover the car idles smootly unless you let it sit and idle for more than a couple minutes. The turbo is in great shape, very little (if any) play, and spools very quickly.

Let me know what you think its worth.

Thanks,

Shawn

Hrmmm....I'd say at least $3K, maybe more. The average buyer pry wouldn't give much more being just a "4-door 1990 Grand Prix", but to someone who knows just what it is and how rare it is would pry pay more.

Why do you *might* wanna sell it? :?

Well, I found those 2 TSTE's for sale here locally, and the marroon one, like yours, but with leather has a firm cash price of 1360. It has about 60k more miles, and yours has some mods. So I would say, sight unseen that is, around 2000-2500. If its in as nice as shape as the white one I found, I would say 2500-3200. But as the other guy said, only to a collector, or someone that knows that it is worth something, would someone pay that much.

Well, I found those 2 TSTE's for sale here locally, and the marroon one, like yours, but with leather has a firm cash price of 1360. It has about 60k more miles, and yours has some mods. So I would say, sight unseen that is, around 2000-2500. If its in as nice as shape as the white one I found, I would say 2500-3200. But as the other guy said, only to a collector, or someone that knows that it is worth something, would someone pay that much.

From what I see in the pictures of the white one...mine is in better shape than the white one. Everything that is wrong with mine I posted in the original post. The exterior of the car looks perfect except the small clearcoat thats missing on the hood and the small rust spot on the right rear fender. The paint is all in great shape, the chrome is all good except for the chrome on the bumper...its in pretty bad shape...not as bad as the chrome on the red STE that you posted though. I will take some pictures of it probably tommarow and post them...it really is a good looking car (besides those ugly factory wheels).

Oh yeah, one more thing...probably doesn't make any difference in what the car is worth, but it is missing the net for the trunk. It didn't have one when I got it, and I wouldn't use it anyways, so I never bought one. Can't really think of anything else wrong with it.

I was thinking the car is probably worth right around $3000, but I'm not sure and thats why I'm asking your opinion.

I'm also wondering if the car would be worth any/much more if it had a factory CD player in it. I have a working factory CD player (which is supposed to go in the TGP coupe...but that can change if need be) that I could stick in there so that all the speakers work and it has a CD player...but I'm not so sure that would make it worth more...so I'm not about to throw it in there right away only to lose the CD player if I sell the car.

Why do you *might* wanna sell it?

I figured this question might arise.....I wanna get a 3.8L 5 speed 98+ Camaro/Firebird...I am hoping that it could be my new Turbo project. :twisted: That or a Fastback Fiero GT 5 Speed...which would also be a turbo project. I was just thinking that its probably time to move on to something else...and preferably something that requires less maintenance, which is why I'm not so sure I want a fiero...because those are definately not low maintenance.

Shawn

Oh yeah, I always forget because neither of our TGPs have working keyless entry. I don't have the remote(s) for the keyless entry. My guess is that it quit working as all of them do, and a previous owner just threw away the unit...or maybe the remotes just got lost. I don't know...but anyways I don't have the remote(s) for that, and if I had to bet money I would say it probably doesn't work.

Shawn

actually, 3000 isnt a bad # at all. Its in the range that I had even surmised. And using the white one is a good comparison based on the facts. Being it has a motor freshly rebuilt, and turbo, and other things, and yours having the performance mods and low miles. So, 3000 is a really good # to shoot for. But once again we come down to the thing about it being a collectable, and popularity of these cars. To you and me, and all the other TGP and TSTE fanatics out there, its worth every penny, and more in some cases. But to others, its just a grand prix with some fancy do-dads on it (i hate downsizing nice cars like that, calling them do-dads). And seeing what some of the TGP's that have come up on ebay have gone for, 3000, its a really reasonable #. And you saying based upon those pics, that yours is in better shape, 3000+ doesnt sound bad. But as you said, the high maintnence of these cars doesnt exactly make them more desireable... I hope you get what you are asking. The color, and the moonroof are a definit plus. The garnet red is so beautiful (now that I have seen one in person LOL). As far as the CD player goes, since that doesnt go towards the functionality of a car (based on pricing ideas set it NADA and KBB), so it wont affect the price of the car at all...

I hope you get what you want if you do sell it, and I also hope it goes to someone that knows what it is... Good luck!!!

P.S. - If you are interested in selling the cd player, I would most definetly be interested...

Guest TurboSedan

i think $3000 is a fair number. but then again i personally think the Maroon Turbo STE is the crown jewel of all W-bodies! i want one sooo bad!