Copper Head Gaskets

conley3.1

Has anybody in this forum used copper head gaskets on their cars? I'm thinking about tearing down the top of my motor and porting and decking the heads for higher compression, and maybe a copper head gaskets. Sorry if this is a repost.

I don't think anyone makes them, but you could probably have some custom made. You would have to machine the head for o-ring seals. I don't know that it would be worth it.

i hear that they are great for short term engine life... meaning they will handle hella HP numbers and are reliable BUT they risk leaking coolant.. Not something i would want to mess with.

your best bet for reliablility and performance is a 3peice steal gasket set

I don't think anyone makes them, but you could probably have some custom made. You would have to machine the head for o-ring seals. I don't know that it would be worth it.

Curtis has them on his Turbo Cavi, but I can't remember who makes them (not one-off) I bet Davis saved the link, canadians are good aboot that. And you don't HAVE to have it O-ring'd. Still w/o boost, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not gonna blow out a stocker. Studs would be more than enough clamping force for a n/a motor.

if you're ever gonna machine for head O-ringing, always machine the block to match it, and go with a thicker o-ring wire, honestly, you'll see HUGE differences later on.

--Dave.

Well, no, I'm not gonna put any forced induction on it, I was just looking for a few extra horses, ya know. My neighbor and landlord has all the stuff required to rebuild an engine, and he used to build Camaro and Firebird engines for himself. Mostly SB engines. Anyhoo, we were looking for a project, and since my car is un-insured and not driving around, I thought maybe we could build it up, raise the compression. I was thinking about copper head gaskets, decking the heads, porting the heads and manifold, and maybe some FFP parts, but i'm pretty broke. Thanks everyone.