IAC unplugged no idle change

god910

Okay, I still have the high idle, not too high (it sounded MUCH worse w/ the upper I/C pipe unhooked) but it's still high. I tried unplugging the IAC, and nothing changed. IAC bad? I can't remember what it means when the IAC unplugging changes nothing. Stupid memory.

Actually, when you unplug the IAC, it should fall back to the default computer settings. It might idle a bit rough, but there should be a difference if it's from the IAC. If it makes no difference at all, that means something else must be keeping the idle high.

Well, I don't know if the car was just as excited as me or what. I put my new battery in and a new IAC from Adv. auto. Fired dat bitch up, and it was purring like a kitten. Well, like a lion anyhow. Not bad, down all winter and only had to put $86 in her to get her back to shape. Now to bleed the brakes, get my tires on, get some insurance, and I'll be at the strip in no time.

Disconnecting the IAC dosen't mean anything. :roll: Even if you drive it it will return idle to where it was, The pintel was set when you pulled the plug and won't chang no mater what you do. Beat it kick it what ever it's going to stay in the same place. I guess you could smash it to chang the pintel settings.

Next time check the counts, if its moving at all it's most likely ok. Dirty would be most likely.

Think you spent x$ not knowing what was wrong.

Well glad it running to your satisfaction. :)

Jud

When we were working on a Lumina that kept dying when your foot was taken off the accelerator, we unplugged the IAC. It surged a bit in idle and evened out, and started running without your foot on the accelerator. I have also found this same occurance on several cars that ran into similar problems. That's the only reason I said what I said above. However, those were on cars that had problems keeping idle/running. I don't know about high idle/over extended pintols.

Thanks for your great wisdom Jud. Or where you just making fun of me? :lol: We'll, I'm fucking rich, so the $30 didn't break my back. I kept the old one since, A) No, I didn't know that's what was wrong, but I've cleaned it XXXXX times, and I figured I should replace it by now B) It wasn't enough for me to give a damn whether I spent it or not. C) I figured that since the car gave me 1/1000th of the shit that I figured it would, it deserved a doggy bone, if you catch my drift.

On a side note, what do the iac counts account for? If the valve doesn't move once it's set, why would the counts change? Or do you mean to check and see if the counts change w/o the idle changing? Starting thinking about that when I was trouble shooting the problem.

Well, I don't know if the car was just as excited as me or what. I put my new battery in and a new IAC from Adv. auto. Fired dat bitch up, and it was purring like a kitten. Well, like a lion anyhow. Not bad, down all winter and only had to put $86 in her to get her back to shape. Now to bleed the brakes, get my tires on, get some insurance, and I'll be at the strip in no time.

You missed that :P :lol: There is a table in the chip that adds IAC Counts verses (low) Battery Voltage, upping the rpm in an attempt to maintain proper charging from the alternator. Running a scan tool would have shown this. If the IAC counts were really low/zero, that would have indicated a throttle cable hanging and/or idle stop improperly adjusted, though the ECM would throw a code for IAC if it could not bring down the idle.

Jeff M

No no no. :roll: Sorry if I came off that way. Not making fun of you at all. Just trying to inform you and others for next time. I hate hereing about guy's that replace good parts. :(

Jeff explaind it pretty well. Thanks Jeff.

Jud

No no no. :roll: Sorry if I came off that way. Not making fun of you at all. Just trying to inform you and others for next time. I hate hereing about guy's that replace good parts. :(

Jeff explaind it pretty well. Thanks Jeff.

Jud

:lol: yea we got to put some sound insulation on god910, help convert all sounds to happy sounds for him :lol: Yea I like only replacing the parts needed when troubleshooting so I KNOW which one was the true cause, helps me understand cars better, mainly to help other 8) . Jud, email me as I have a new/never used CarTech VRGFPR, their top of the line that allows as much fuel raise or as little based on engine load/boost, and cheaper than the $260/$219 prices.

Jeff M

Jeff, did you get my PM? Just wondering. Yeah, happy sounds are good. :lol: Yeah, shit, I didn't think about the charge adj. for the IAC. :oops: If it'll make you guys feel better I'll remove the new IAC, and put the old one back in. :lol: :wink: Hey, even better, now it only cost me $41 to get her running. :D

Just found it :oops: , been some trouble getting things through, then having time to work on long emails and posts, doing 2 TGP trannies this week, need to order some more parts then some major procedures to work out the final noted details for the last parts and last mods. Mask off and paint the engine bay; primer, color then clear, and a bunch of other parts. Keep on top of the tranny work as it’s going on (I don’t got a big enough parts washer and my time is too tight for me to be doing a complete rebuild right now). Call here today to the turbo shop to see how the custom parts are coming and what I need to do/send to make it happen from my end. Put all the wire looms back into the engine bay, ABS unit and bleed that, AC compressor and evacuate and charge the system, graft in my old WB o2 setup into the ECM, setup the location for the o2 sensor and pressure taps, put the suspension and subframe back together and installed into the car, then the tranny and PS fluid lines. Install PS pump, fill and bleed the rack, replace the struts, re-core the radiator and take pics of the old plugged core, only a small list for one car here, got more then other cars, boats and houses and buildings I am working on, making up a proposal for a full Energy Management/Utility Management/Planned Maintenance/Fire-Life Safety Program, pretty large building, then summer yard work, shipping parts to tons of people, emails and all that I enjoy when I can 8) …….so, quit buggin me and fix your car :P :lol: , your are a smart boy, sounds like you figured out a lot already 8) , show-off, but I will reply to you soon/today :!: :!: :!:

Jeff M

Just found it :oops: , been some trouble getting things through, then having time to work on long emails and posts, doing 2 TGP trannies this week, need to order some more parts then some major procedures to work out the final noted details for the last parts and last mods. Mask off and paint the engine bay; primer, color then clear, and a bunch of other parts. Keep on top of the tranny work as it’s going on (I don’t got a big enough parts washer and my time is too tight for me to be doing a complete rebuild right now). Call here today to the turbo shop to see how the custom parts are coming and what I need to do/send to make it happen from my end. Put all the wire looms back into the engine bay, ABS unit and bleed that, AC compressor and evacuate and charge the system, graft in my old WB o2 setup into the ECM, setup the location for the o2 sensor and pressure taps, put the suspension and subframe back together and installed into the car, then the tranny and PS fluid lines. Install PS pump, fill and bleed the rack, replace the struts, re-core the radiator and take pics of the old plugged core, only a small list for one car here, got more then other cars, boats and houses and buildings I am working on, making up a proposal for a full Energy Management/Utility Management/Planned Maintenance/Fire-Life Safety Program, pretty large building, then summer yard work, shipping parts to tons of people, emails and all that I enjoy when I can 8) …….so, quit buggin me and fix your car :P :lol: , your are a smart boy, sounds like you figured out a lot already 8) , show-off, but I will reply to you soon/today :!: :!: :!:

Jeff M

man and I thought I was busy (no posts in 2 months), must mean my car is running good and i'm really not that busy.

man and I thought I was busy (no posts in 2 months), must mean my car is running good and i'm really not that busy.

Show off :lol: :D . I did decide I just had to do a G-Tech run tonight, leveled the guy on my windshield, have a nice flat road longer than a quarter mile right next to an airport, no traffic out here in the sticks, and rip off two 14.6 runs with a 6.0 zero to sixy, and a final run 14.5 with a 5.9 zero to sixty, not bad and when looking at the run verses G-Force, can see how my slipping second gear made a huge dip and messed me from getting a low 14. Only mods air filter, chip and stat, though the previouse owner never got better than a 15.0, but once I bought this TGP, got into it and fixed the loose over-gapped spark plugs, replaced the air filter upgrade that would be good for maybe a lawn mower, new wires, back to a 50/50% mix of rad fluid instead of 100% :roll: and a few things to get it running proper/stock, sure helped show the typical times these old 1990 FWDs can run :lol:

Jeff M

Hey Jeff, you need to post pics of your 450hp beast :shock:

That would be fun, but I don't got time yet for fun :lol: Its does look a lot like this one on the outside except for the loud ass blue pearl paint 8)

TSTEnewEng2.jpg

Jeff M

I want :shock:

Thanks bud, all the work it took (and to the rest of the car to go with this) was more of a commitment to labor than the cash, if there was someone who did this I would have saved up to pay them for it, lot of work but if we like our cars as much as we do, why not do it up and enjoy it more for at least another 14 years :lol: .

Jeff M

Hay, He stuffed a 350 chevy in it to get thoes numbers. :D Good for him to make it fit.

I thought I had a powerfull motor. :roll: I only could get 275 at the rear wheels.

and I did a lot, big cam, ported heads 32cc chambers, crane spring and so forth, balanced, big turbo which never gave up, pulled 15# through out the pulls(15# of real air not like our stockers which turn in to a hot air pump past 10#) and a POS RRFMU. Might have got more but the A/F ratio kept bouncing around and we were gettin knock retard in the 8 to 9 degree range so we aborted after 2 pulls to save the motor. That didn't work. Blue the moter giving nitrodave a ride.

Needles to say I was disapointed. I have had it with this intake system. Runners 3'' difference in length BS.I have fried everything you can think

of on number 3 and 6, bent rods holes in pistons, burnt valves.

I've started over with the newer designed intakes. Just starting out and will slowly progress. @ 6# of real air it's almost as fast. Top end is to the extream.

450HPI just have to go????? althoug it has been done with less CI. Jeff must have some biiiiiiiiig tricks up his sleve.

Jud

You know its really hard (not that hard :lol: ) to read posts when there is some young butt hottie swinging in someone’s avatar :shock: . The 60 degree V6 motor like an can make some power, this one back in the mid eighties made 350 hp NA, 13:1 compression, big cam, flowing heads, carb (a what??) at an ungodly 8,500 rpms :shock: , stock 2.8l blocks, 3.1 can do it as well, but we cheat with a 500 hp turbo running 450 hp keeping the compressor wheel from overworking. It would be great to use a 60-1 or 60-2, these have some of the best efficiency numbers, but no room for it or an external wastegate (not without a lot of work), so use a big GT turbo that still has an internal wastegate and be done with it, well not totally, forged lower compression/8.25:1 pistons, proper balanced and assembled block with mods/tricks, Gen III heads (though I got the Gen IIs to flow within a few cfm on the all important exh side as a worked pair of Gen IIIs). Mild turbo cam, 1.6 roller rockers, roller timing chain, some other mods not as significant but all play a part. I should get to finishing this later this year, for now finished some work on my TSTE, primed, color, clear the engine bay today, assembled the subframe with A-Arms, sway bar and new subframe doughnuts and bolts, looking more and more like a car now. Need to add some sound insulation (not too many pounds) to the firewall, going to make this a nice to drive long distances 4-door with extra go under the hood, will have 350 hp without over working the upgraded turbo. Blah, blah, sorry :oops: it’s been a long time since I put a wrench to one of my cars, it’s exciting to work on these, any work. But yours sounds like it will move out once you figure out the fueling 8) , there are a lot of aftermarket wide-band o2s out there now that are not expensive, and make tuning so much easier and less bang-prone. Stab the fuel to 11.9 at 2 psi then add timing (may need to add some more fuel) till it reaches Maximum Brake Torque/MBT, then move on to 4 psi, when you get to the upper boost ranges, add 100 octane to keep it safe while you find the MBT values, now move the AF up to find the real power, but each engine will want a different end value, you will know when you have to take out too much timing. Then when done lop off some of the timing done at higher boost and 100 octane, compare to the timing at the lower boost ranges with 92 pump gas, retest for no knock and good AF and have fun, though good to test again when cold temps and hot temps just to make sure!!!!

Back to the shop I go!

Jeff M

Jeff, did you get my PM? Just wondering. Yeah, happy sounds are good. :lol: Yeah, shit, I didn't think about the charge adj. for the IAC. :oops: If it'll make you guys feel better I'll remove the new IAC, and put the old one back in. :lol: :wink: Hey, even better, now it only cost me $41 to get her running. :D

Ok, I did you a long ass detail PM reply, you happy now :?: :lol:

Jeff M

I wondered when MY thread was gonna get back to talking about ME :lol: Yeah, I got it. Thanks.

Sorry, the list of people talking to me in emails is waaaay more than on these boards, also 4 crossover pipe sales in 1 month and a ton of fixes while they have my ear :shock: :lol: . Just too damn busy unless its an emergency, or I got a spare moment to let off some steam and post a little to the board, and you know its bad when your wife's car still has the snow tires on it :oops: :lol: .

Later

Jeff M