'

Invasion1

Guest TurboSedan

from what i can see they don't stop bottoming out or limiting the Rear suspension travel......

I have both sides off right now because of the ADDCO Rear Sway Bar project and i don't want to put them back on if i don't have to......

any possable problems with removing those rubber springs and brackets???

any related info is welcome

Thanks

Dave

sounds like the spring helpers? i removed them and left them out. no problems here.

Those rubber things look like an 8 right? I had a hard time compression them down to size to get the 2 bottom strut bolts through when I replaced my strut. I ended up using a c-clamp to compress it.

Both mine broke (the metal brakets cracked in half) so I left them off, because as you, I can't find a DAMN thing they are good for. :wink: (Also a 92 CS here)

they are for a couple reasons, first reason is to help control noise from the rear suspension, and the second they are spring dampners, so if you lose your strut or strut mount, the tire wouldn't be bouncing off the ground while you're driving on the highway, which is a common issue on some of the older FWD gm cars.

--Dave

I believe it does nothing more than to tune the spring rate to be more progressive.

No Grand Prix has ever had it (to my knowledge), and newer Cutlass Supremes lost it too, although I don't know the last year for them.

One side effect of having them out of my 89, is the rear suspension sits higher by 1", maybe up to 1-3/4", and is also much, much stiffer. It is not possible at all to bounce the rear end of the car up and down anymore.