i'm buying parts for cars i don't even own (yet)....

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i went down to Denver today to hit the salvage yards. i bought a complete dash cover, HUD unit & pigtails, and dimmer switch & pigtail from a '91 Grand Prix STE (gray interior). total cost -$26 and change. the dash looks almost perfect until you get up close you can see some hairline cracks. i noticed that the dimmer switch seems to be alot more complex than the CS HUD dimmer switch i have. there is a steel cord running from the dimmer switch to the HUD unit for height adjustment, but NO height adjustment lever?? what's up with that? anyway, i bought it for the STE Turbo i'm still trying to buy, which doesn't have HUD. if i don't end up buying that car i guess it will be pretty easy to sell here or on ebay.

then i went across town to the salvage yard that i got my CS HUD unit from. this time i bought the entire dash cover, so i have a good example to study before i cut up my nice original dash. this CS dash pad doesn't look all that bad, but it is curling up around the HUD unit hole and other places. they only charged me $15 so i figured it was worth it. i also finally have all of the CS HUD mounting bracket details figured out. Taylor, i will have some good pics of everything soon (and thanks again for all of your help with this HUD stuff).

the GP HUD setup is WAAAAYYYY different than the CS setup (obviously). the HUD mounting bracket is completely different, the plug is completely different, the dimmer switch is WAY different etc. anyway i hope to have pics up on my website soon of both the GP and CS HUDs, as well as a tech article on the CS HUD swap. i'm still looking for parts for quite a few of you out there...i'll be going back to the yards again soon.

rok out...

joshua

Actually the HUD design was changed in 91 on both the CS and GP.

So the HUD in your CS now is very similar to the 89-90 TGP HUD.

Your 91 HUD is very similar to a 91-94 CS HUD. A 91-94 CS HUD has the same connector, height adjustment cable, etc. as a 91-93 GP HUD.

Guest TurboSedan
Actually the HUD design was changed in 91 on both the CS and GP.

So the HUD in your CS now is very similar to the 89-90 TGP HUD.

Your 91 HUD is very similar to a 91-94 CS HUD. A 91-94 CS HUD has the same connector, height adjustment cable, etc. as a 91-93 GP HUD.

is there anything about the '91+ HUDs that make them better? does the display look different, more dependable etc. also, how in the heck do you adjust the height when there is no lever? thanks,

joshua

oh yeah, will i have any problems installing a '91 HUD and dash cover in a '90 TGP STE? i'm not very familiar with Grand Prix dashes...

joshua

depends talk to eclipse or no1kicker they installed one once...eclipse has done more then one....including one in a cutlass and an STE turbo

you soon to be may already be Prewired for HUD

Guest TurboSedan
oh yeah, will i have any problems installing a '91 HUD and dash cover in a '90 TGP STE? i'm not very familiar with Grand Prix dashes...

joshua

depends talk to eclipse or no1kicker they installed one once...eclipse has done more then one....including one in a cutlass and an STE turbo

you soon to be may already be Prewired for HUD

yeah i wouldn't doubt the STE turbo is already prewired for it since they are fully loaded. my CS was originally a base model, so it wasn't prewired for the HUD. i got the wiring for the CS HUD done last week so i should have the CS HUD completely installed tomarrow night within 10 minutes or so. all i need to do now is swap the dash cover out and plug it in (and take a bunch of pics).

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
how in the heck do you adjust the height when there is no lever?

joshua

I might be wrong isn't there a lever on the face of the dash for this?

i'm stumped with this one. the steel cable comes from the HUD unit itself and goes into the dimmer switch. but....the only lever on the dimmer switch is the OFF/dimmer control....no height adjustment knob anywhere. wierd :?:

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i wouldn't doubt the STE turbo is already prewired for it since they are fully loaded.

joshua

oh wait...i'd have to rewire it anyway since the plugs changed from '90 to '91....oh well it isn't hard anyway.

joshua

is there anything about the '91+ HUDs that make them better? does the display look different, more dependable etc. also, how in the heck do you adjust the height when there is no lever? thanks,

joshua

Not really. The 91+ HUDs are somewhat better looking on the exterior, the Cutlass version is rounded off more and flatter. The display looks the same, but the 91+ HUDs no longer have the metal grating over the lens so you don't see those faint lines across the HUD projection.

There should be a lever somewhere. I don't know where they put it in the GP's, but on the 91-94 Cutlass, it's located with the HUD dimmer in the sport pod. It's a slider on the Cutlass, not sure what it is in the GP.

The 91+ HUD is actually a bit cost-reduced. The component count inside is reduced to save costs, and instead of a glass lens with metal grating to protect it, the 91+ HUDs have a piece of unprotected curved plastic.

Like the CS, the height adjustment for the 91+ GPs is included on the dimmer switch. It's located on the side of the dimmer unit. Should be a 1 inch by 1/2 inch lever that sticks out to the right (away from the gauge cluster). If you got the dimmer, you got the height adjuster too. Maybe the lever is broken off?

And I seriously doubt the Turbo STE is prewired for the HUD. Of the cars I've seen, about 95% of the w-bodies from 88-90 were NOT prewired for the HUD. But on the other hand, most of the 91-94 cars that were loaded (minus the HUD) usually were prewired for the HUD.

Sounds like you got a good score going to the yards though. And you STOLE that 91 GP HUD. I bet if you sold it on Ebay, you'd get almost $200 for it...especially if you've got the bracket/dimmer. I've seen those things sell for quite a bit of cash.

The best part about special electronics is salvage yards don't usually inventory them...mainly because there isn't a specific Hollander exchange number for them. The most specific Hollander gets electronic wise is gauge cluster. So depending on where you go, usually those "special" electronic items don't cost much. I even picked up a extra Turbo STE DIC/compass unit for almost nothing because the yard didn't even know what it was (let alone it was even more special because it came from a Turbo STE). Of course, that was part of a smokin-hot deal for a bunch of Turbo STE stuff...

Jason

Guest TurboSedan

Jason, your right! the lever is broken off of the side flush :( i can still adjust it tho if i stick a pen or pocket knife to it and push it back and forth. well at least it's hard to notice. when i bought my CS HUD a few weeks ago the salvage yard actually referred to it as a speaker. i of course didn't correct them. yesterday when i bought the GP HUD i told them what it was, but they said they had never even sold one before and then just told me i could have it all for $25, which also included an overhead cubby hole/dual overhead dome light piece from the same '91 STE. i noticed that this STE also had a power passenger seat, and i think i might go back and get the seat base and switches. thanks,

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i got the HUD installed tonight and it works great! i took alot of pics of the dash and HUD bracket and wiring and hope to have that stuff on my site tomarrow. i am using the HUD dash pad that i got from the salvage yard but it is soooo warped to hell that the HUD will not sit low enough on one side and too low on the other. this makes it so the height adjustment switch is too high off of the lever and cannot adjust the display. it doesn't quite sit level because of this either. it's kind of hard to explain but it's only a temporary problem anyway until i get a hole cut in my nice original dash and can use that. i tested the speedo up to 80mph on the Interstate and it was RIGHT on with the cluster speedo. i'm also going to remove that metal grill because it makes the display more difficult to see. i plan on putting a piece of clear plexiglass with small strips of felt in it's place. removing the grill makes the display MUCH easier to see.

btw, Shawn - is there anyway i can use the STE seat bases on my Cutlass seats *and* have them power recline? the cloth on the STE seats was really crappy looking. if i got the whole seats i'd have to have them reapholstered. thanks,

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i made a tech article on the HUD installation! well, my brother Dan made it while i learned how to use Dreamweaver at the same time and kind of directed how to make it. well anyway, tell me what you think....

http://server2.websytz.com/~danz/josh/

just go to the link on the upper left. i'm going to be updating the HUD installation page with some text about the wiring pinout for the HUD plug, HUD dimmer etc, and cluster pinout etc. so check back later for that. i'm also going to be redoing the Getrag 5-speed conversion page later, and maybe even a tech article on the rear brake upgrade, installing rear coilovers, Addco bar, turbo conversion page.... it might take a while to do all this but i'll try (and fun). later,

joshua

Hey Joshua, I'm looking forward to that HUD dimmer wiring into, because I have the same exact HUD as you, and everything works good except my dimmer switch. I have to keep it on the brightest setting for the display to remain on, and when I slide the dimmer to a lower setting, it'll dim, but then it'll give me the ''188'' reading like 2 seconds later, and then I'll get no display at all...

Another gripe I have is the way I have my seat reclined prevents me from seeing about a fourth of the display, and I have the height adjusted at the highest setting already...I'm wondering if there's a way to get the display higher up...I don't wanna have to actually straighten my seat, I like my recline :?

-MaD-

Guest TurboSedan
Hey Joshua, I'm looking forward to that HUD dimmer wiring into, because I have the same exact HUD as you, and everything works good except my dimmer switch. I have to keep it on the brightest setting for the display to remain on, and when I slide the dimmer to a lower setting, it'll dim, but then it'll give me the ''188'' reading like 2 seconds later, and then I'll get no display at all...

Another gripe I have is the way I have my seat reclined prevents me from seeing about a fourth of the display, and I have the height adjusted at the highest setting already...I'm wondering if there's a way to get the display higher up...I don't wanna have to actually straighten my seat, I like my recline :?

-MaD-

wow, i don't have that problem....maybe the switch itself is bad? also, i think the unit is somewhat adjustable where it screws down onto the HUD bracket (it can sorta pivot); that might help out with the height adjustment problem.

joshua

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
Nothing I have to many Browsers open I though I was in the Fuck tread but I was here and now I cant delete it because you Replied to me

hahaha :lol2: i'm just fuckin with ya.... i didn't know i replied right after you posted.

joshua