Time for brakes on my STE...what should I do???

dbtk2

So, for the 3rd time in 2 months I have to replace the drivers side inside brake pad. I am assuming this is due to the caliper going bad and just using that pad to make the car stop...not sure though. So anyways, went to Autozone, bought a new (or rebuilt or whatever) caliper for the drivers side front...already had a bunch of new pads since just the one pad goes bad every 3 weeks or so. I know I'm gonna put the new caliper on and probably just one new pad since I'm sure the rest are still like brand new. However the rotors I'm pretty sure are the original, and I'm not even sure my rear brakes work at all. So I'm trying to figure out what I should do.

I decided that the brakes need some help, because the brake light comes on every time I press the brakes, the Anti-Lock light flashes, and the accumulator cycles every time I hit the brake pedal. So I'm gonna spend the money to do it right, so I don't have to deal with it anymore, and I don't have to worry about not being able to stop...I've had about 5 too many close calls due to my shitty brakes and I'm VERY sick of it.

I know people do the 94+ rear brake upgrade...but what exactly is that? Do they have bigger pads? Bigger rotors??? And also, how difficult is it to do that.

This is what I'm planning on doing...but I know I need to do other things, so let me know what you think.

Drivers Side Front Caliper

Rear Pads

Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors all the way around

New Accumulator

Now, if my rear brakes aren't working, which I don't think they are, then what can I do to make it so they do work??? I know the rear brakes not working is a common problem...so what is the solution.

As you can tell I don't know much about the brake systems on these cars...so any suggestions as to what I should do would be awesome.

Thanks,

Shawn

Don't know if you've seen it yet or not, but:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16042

I don't think pads/rotors/calipers will fix your PM problems (pump running every depression is most likely the accumulator) but it will help you stop better. 94+ are bigger, check the main page for all the details. As far as the rear calipers, you can buy loaded calipers w/ the brass(?) sleve in it to keep them from freezing up. That is what goes bad w/ them. I don't know about the wheels fitting w/ the newer brakes though. I can never remember that. I'll shutup now, it's beddybie time.

you can get new rear caliper sliders if they're locked up, the bushings are a bitch to install though

don't buy bosch pads, they're worthless