'

Invasion1

Guest TurboSedan

all you will need is strut/knuckle assemblies from a '95+ W-body, along with the bigger rotors. you reuse the old calipers, but they bolt onto a different place on the strut/knuckle (to make way for the bigger rotor). i've had some '96 Cutlass strut/knuckles in my garage for over a year now. i need to get 'em installed someday, but i need to install new balljoints and swap in my Eibach springs before they go on the car. i got the '96 strut/knuckles for $100 for the pair at a local j/y.

Guest TurboSedan

no that is just for the front.

for the rears you will need the caliper, caliper mounting bracket, caliper mounting bracket bolts, and the bigger rotor. the rear upgrade is really easy, except getting the parking brake to work (which might be also be easy, i just haven't tried yet). depending on how you get the parking brake to work you might need the '94+ parking brake cables also. i have '95 Regal rear brakes on my Cutlass right now, and the swap cost me less than $100 which included new rotors and a new set of pads. i have the '95 Regal parking brake cables also, but i still need to install them and have the cable bracket welded to the frame. the parking brake probably won't be much of an issue if you have an automatic trans, but if you have a manual trans it is a real PITA not having a working parking brake. also, some areas have vehicle inspections that require a working parking brake.

Okay, well, I just talked to Shawn about his last night, and another guy who pulled this off.. Now, I have been told I will need new front struts.. This would REALLY piss me off because I just poured ~$600 into new F41 struts and other crap up there.. Is it possible to NOT do this? Otherwise, I'll be really pissed.. OR can I modify me 4 week-old F41's? I REALLY need better brakes, because my car doesn't stop too well above 50 MPh... LOL..

Guest TurboSedan

the front strut/knuckle and the actual strut cartridge are two seperate things. you will need new front strut/knuckle assemblies, but i would think you could just swap the strut cartridge over to the new strut/knuckle. i have never changed front strut cartridges myself, so i'm not really sure.

Sweet! I might head out there today.. What am I looking for? (Ive never done this..) What does this knuckle thing look like?

Guest TurboSedan
Sweet! I might head out there today.. What am I looking for? (Ive never done this..) What does this knuckle thing look like?

it is very big. the front strut and knuckle is one big piece on our cars, which is why i refer to it as a "strut/knuckle". it is everything from the three studs at the top of the strut tower all the way to the lower ball joint. you will need a pickle fork (for lower ball joint), a pitman arm puller (for tierod), a T60 torx socket (for caliper) and an axle nut socket to pull the strut/knuckle from the donor car. i bought mine from the junkyard complete with springs still installed. make sure the car you get them from actually has the 11" rotors, ecspecially if the donor car is a '95.

Sweet.. I cant get out there today.. no money, and no gas.. But if anyone has a set complete and ready to go.. Ill buy it off them! lmao

One thing you better watch out for is that the front brakes were changed mid-way through '95 on the W's (except the Monte's which all got the bigger rotors as far as I know). So as far as a donor car goes, watch out.... some 95's have the new style, some don't.

I've been looking into doing a '96 style brake upgrade for a while now. Best price I can find on front struts is $75/each CDN. I was looking at buying reman calipers from Napa. I know someone who works there and I can get a decent deal on them. Those damn rear calipers are pricey though!

I would need to get the parking brake hooked up though since I plan on the 284 swap later this summer. I've been thinking that you could hook up the '94+ rear park brake cables to my '93 front cable at the equalizer. Does anyone know if this would work or is it possible to still use my rear cables? (I know I will need to attach mounting brakets for the L/R cables)

Guest TurboSedan
I've been thinking that you could hook up the '94+ rear park brake cables to my '93 front cable at the equalizer. Does anyone know if this would work or is it possible to still use my rear cables? (I know I will need to attach mounting brakets for the L/R cables)

i think so, that is what my plan is anyway. i'm going to use the '94+ parking brake cables up to the equalizer (the one under the front drivers seat). i'll be reusing my stock parking brake cable from the lever inside the car to the equalizer.

btw, not all '95 Montes got the bigger front brakes. i'm pretty sure timg's '95 Z34 got the smaller front brakes.

Guest TurboSedan
Sweet.. I cant get out there today.. no money, and no gas.. But if anyone has a set complete and ready to go.. Ill buy it off them! lmao

i would only buy them locally if possible. $hipping would be really high.

Ok man.. Locally it is, lol.. Ill hit a few places around here a little closer to my rear strut work.. One thing I noticed: On the boxes my Lumina's NEW struts came in, a Monte Carlo and a Lumina (1.5) were pictured on there.. I think they then may be the same, lol.. I will look locally, and try to get out there next week! :D

If you guys are interested I have the e-mail of a place called Red Dragon Motorsports out of Vancouver B.C. they sell drilled/slotted/plated rotors and ceramic pads for our cars (first and second gen). You can get a complete set for around $500 US complete front and rear(free shipping). If you're interested let me know.

If you guys are interested I have the e-mail of a place called Red Dragon Motorsports out of Vancouver B.C. they sell drilled/slotted/plated rotors and ceramic pads for our cars (first and second gen). You can get a complete set for around $500 US complete front and rear(free shipping). If you're interested let me know.

for $500 those better be kick ass rotors and pads, which, in my experience, ceramic pads suck

I phoned Red Dragon today and was quoted $389 US for 2 sets (front/rear) slotted/drilled rotors and the new Bosch ceramic pads. this price includes shipping and all hardware. Was also told if your not a fan of ceramic you can get the set for $419 with new monroe pads.