'

Invasion1

I was at Indy when that car was setting the pace.. damn it was awesome. It was then that I fell in love with the Cutlass Supreme Convertable.

--Dave.

I went to the Indy museum a while ago and saw that there, and a GP pace car as well. along with all of the other rare pace cars, but those were the ones that caught my eye.

didnt they make less than 100 of the cuttys?

didnt they make less than 100 of the cuttys?

200 coupes, 50 convertibles, but they all had 2.8's.

Basically it was just that front bumper on an International and some stickers, plus the HUD. The convertibles were converted by Cars & Concepts and later recalled and destroyed. I've heard only 5 convertibles survived.

I noticed in the pic above that the Indy Convert didnt have the targa bar across the top.... Maybe that is why they were destoryed? Too much body FLEX?

I noticed in the pic above that the Indy Convert didnt have the targa bar across the top.... Maybe that is why they were destoryed? Too much body FLEX?

Nah, the Cars & Concepts version had the bar and the pillar handles.

Only the 2 Indy versions had a removable bar and door handles mounted on the window sills.

Actually the real Indy convertibles weren't really convertibles... they didn't have tops. They were just topless.

i remember the one convertible on ebay a while back that is local to me. one coupe got sold at the local "buy here finance here" dealer for $1995 and i saw it drive around all winter with a donut spare on the back right side.

There are only 8 of the original 50 convertable still around. By far the one with the fewest number of miles in located in Cleveland, and is owned by a gent named Hary Simco.... 8 original miles. He worked the pit crew at the 88 indy track, and as they were backing the car off, someone dented the door, so they never drove it....

The owner wroye this:

ONLY 52 OF THESE PROTOTYPE CONVERTIBLES WERE BUILT FOR THE 1988 INDIANAPOLIS 500. TWO OF THESE UNITS WERE HIGHLY MODIFIED (QUAD 4 ENGINES) AND WERE NOT STREET LEGAL. THE OTHER 50 SPECIALLY BUILT CARS WERE TO BE USED AS PARADE CARS ONLY. THESE CARS WERE BUILT BY BRIGHTON, MICHIGAN'S CARS AND CONCEPTS EXCLUSIVELY FOR OLDSMOBILE. STARTING WITH CUTLASS INTERNATIONAL TWO DOOR COUPES, EACH VEHICLE RECEIVED $33,000 WORTH OF MODIFICATIONS. THESE MODIFICATIONS INCLUDED POWER CONVERTIBLE TOPS, SUSPENSION, BODY FAIRING, INDY 500 DECALS, AND WERE THE FIRST U.S. CARS TO HAVE H.U.D. (HEADS-UP DISPLAY) SHOWING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL ON THE WINDSHIELD. AFTER THE 1988 INDY RACE, THE 50 CARS WERE RETURNED TO OLDSMOBILE TO BE DESTROYED. 44 OF THE CARS WERE IN FACT DISMANTLED, AND THE SIX FREMAINING CARS WERE USED AS PROMOTIONAL ADVERTISING UNITS. I OBTAINED THIS CAR IN 1990,AND IT HAS NEVER BEEN DRIVEN MORE THAN ON AND OFF OF OUR TRAILER. THIS CAR HAS ONLY 7 MILES ON IT SINCE NEW. THIS A RARE OPPURTUNITY TO OWN A PRISTINE PIECE OF AMERICAN RACING HISTORY. ADDITIONAL ITEMS THAT COME WITH THE CAR ARE AS FOLLOWS: NOTORIZED ODOMETER SLIP SHOWING THE ACTUAL MILEAGE WHEN PURCHASED; PHOTOS OF THE CARS BEING ASSEMBLED AT CARS AND CONCEPTS; 1988 PRESS RELEASES FROM OLDSMOBILE; MEDIA FACT BOOK; PRESS KIT; MODIFCATION COST SHEET; 1988 OFFICAL RACE PROGRAM; CLEAN MICHIGAN TITLE. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS, AND REMEMBER WE HAVE SEVERAL OTHER PICTURES WE CAN E-MAIL YOU. "

I have a few photos (dark) of this while he stores it in his warehouse.....

His has the 2.8.... it was actually not that pretty, but man the potential....

do it up like this one:

1988Pacecar4.JPG

man i would take one of those in a hearbeat. I remember something about them recalling and destroying most of them those rat bastards!!