AC Compressor Noise

bluegp

My AC compressor makes a metallic rubbing noise sometimes. If the AC is switched on while it's making the noise, the noise goes away. Does this mean anything is wrong with the compressor and can anything be done about it?

• 1 year later...

I have to ask a 2nd time. The Lumina's AC compressor has been making the noise again now that the weather is hot. It seems to be something in the pulley's clutch. Like said, it sounds kinda like metal scraping when the pulley spins. When the clutch engages, the noise goes away. Has anybody ever had the same problem or know how to quiet it down?

Get a new compressor clutch. It's the bearing in the clutch.

I think I may have the same issue with the Grand Prix - anything that needs urgently to be addressed? I can do without the A/C for now...

Kevin

Sounds like a pulley bearing to me.

It can be changed without opening the system, but the bearing is pressed into the pulley and you need some kind of press to get it out and new one in. As far as the pulley itself, I think you need a pulley puller and snap-ring pliers.

I can get full details if you want to try this yourself.

mine did that shit...actually all GW cars with the 2.8/3.1/3100 are common for that annoying noise from the compressor. I'll tell you one thing, it needs to be addressed or you can say goodbye to your a/c

My car makes that noise when ever the frost is on (all winter) and when the a/c is on (all summer).....so far so good. I'll wait for the day she seizes though...

so thats what that noise is, except mine makes it when the A/C is on, the defrost is on, and something else to, cant quite remember what it was. How long would it hold up before something will break?

I'll tell you one thing, it needs to be addressed or you can say goodbye to your a/c

I cant imagine it taking out your A/C. If something were to break, I imagine you would just replace that part and everything would be well again.

mine did that shit...actually all GW cars with the 2.8/3.1/3100 are common for that annoying noise from the compressor. I'll tell you one thing, it needs to be addressed or you can say goodbye to your a/c

mine makes this noise also...and you're right...it is VERY COMMON with the 60* v6's for some reason...anywayz, mine does it with the compresser off and goes away when you turn the AC on...i just spray some blaster on it once in a while and it quiets it right down :lol:

mine makes this noise also...and you're right...it is VERY COMMON with the 60* v6's for some reason...anywayz, mine does it with the compresser off and goes away when you turn the AC on...i just spray some blaster on it once in a while and it quiets it right down :lol:

thats funny, because I used to spray LPS lubricant on mine to quiet her down.

19Cutlass94....if the clutch is gone, then you'll have a non-responsive compressor which blows warm air. Now there is something that happens to the lines which is very bad for your system...therefore more work will have to be performed. What you have is an a/c system on its way out...could be a week or maybe even a year. Compressors at a j/y are around $75 on the average.

Funny thing is the compressor in my 89 used to make a lot of noise for about 2-3 yrs about 10yrs ago. One day the noise went away, and it was fine after that.

Now my A/C doesn't work due to no pressure in the system, but I know the compressor DOES work..

Last summmer I had a horribly loud metal-on-metal sound.. yes it was the clutch on the comressor. Took it to the shop and they "adjusted" it for only $40. Sound was much quieter ("normal" i guess).

Couple weeks ago I dumped some cans of freon in and the A/C kicked in, that's why I know the compressor is still good.

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a pulley bearing to me.

It can be changed without opening the system, but the bearing is pressed into the pulley and you need some kind of press to get it out and new one in. As far as the pulley itself, I think you need a pulley puller and snap-ring pliers.

I can get full details if you want to try this yourself.

Thanks, but I'll probably see how much the garge wants to do it. Right now, I have no time and don't have a puller, press, or snap ring tools.

Now my A/C doesn't work due to no pressure in the system, but I know the compressor DOES work..

Last summmer I had a horribly loud metal-on-metal sound.. yes it was the clutch on the comressor. Took it to the shop and they "adjusted" it for only $40. Sound was much quieter ("normal" i guess).

Couple weeks ago I dumped some cans of freon in and the A/C kicked in, that's why I know the compressor is still good.

You have a '95 and you put FREON into your A/C system??? You sure about that??

You have a '95 and you put FREON into your A/C system??? You sure about that??

Okay it wasn't freon.. I'm just using that work as a generic term for the cold stuff in the cans.. :lol: