The Last Oldsmobile

DOHCRagtopguy

We have finally reached the sad sad day. The Last OLDSMOBILE to roll off the assembly line will be on the morning of this Thursday, April 29,2004 at the Lansing MI assembly plant. (moment of silence) It will be a Final 500 Alero Sedan. It will then be taken to the REO museum for display.

I have been a big Gm fan for all my life. Chevy Olds Pontiac...Is my cars. Always has been. The most reliable car I own Is and Olds. Olds has taken me anywhere I have wanted to go. Why take away the best of the all?? I wouldnt trust my El Camino to take me where my 442 has. The Aurora is a nice car...my ex has one and its a very comfortable car for me to drive...my Cutlass is too...but not like the Aurora. There is nothing else that anyone else will make to compare to Olds.

Proof that the only thing driving GM these days is a bunch of bean counters wanting to make $$MONEY$$.. If a brand doesn't live up to their expectations.. they will axe it. Hence Oldsmoblie, The decided the brand wasn't profiting GM any longer. Soooo Chop goes the AXE :evil: !!

It's sad to see such an American icon go. I guess we will never forget the days oif the 455 rockets, the 442, the W-30, the Hurst Olds, the Indy Pace car Cutty, and many other great cars from Oldsmoblie. :shock: :cry:

saw one of the final 500 auroras driving down the street the other day. Its soo noticeable. Some older lady.

When I drove by (the cutlasss was really shined up, clean), she smiled over...iwas pretty cool

jon

saw one of the final 500 auroras driving down the street the other day. Its soo noticeable. Some older lady.

pardon the ignorance, but how could you tell??

I would buy a new GM but it would only be the GTO. Its one badass car!

W3rd, unless I got the money, then I may for for a new caddy when i retire....if cars even still have wheels then and arent flying around.

RIP OLDSMOBILE

After April 29th 2004

I will never buy a NEW GM Product again

....I came to that conclusion, well before the end of Oldsmobile....

I'd like to go record as I wouldn't by anything new from GM even if they paided me, except the GTO I'd take it and sell it.

I think the Alero coupes are nice. It has to have the 3400, low profile 225/50/16 with polished wheels, and a spoiler. I also like the way they handle. BTW I like the Auroras as well!

It doesn't matter which Oldsmobile comes off the line last, its a fucking tragedy! :evil:

I think the Alero coupes are nice. It has to have the 3400, low profile 225/50/16 with polished wheels, and a spoiler. I also like the way they handle.

I second that! They aren't GA's they look like they are better quality for some reason.

For those of you saying you woun't ever buy a new GM vehicle just because Olds is no more, well I don't think thats a very good reason. The fact that GM is making boring cars such as the Aveo, Optra (in Canada), piles of boring SUVs, along with sedans that are no longer coupes and are becoming out dated.. those are good reasons! Hopefully in the next few years GM will get some better power under the hood of their trucks (to keep up with the Dodge Hemi's and the Fords). The N and J bodies will be gone soon, replaced by better vehicles. The w-body only has a couple more years left before it (hopefully) becomes a RWD platform. New engines such as the 3500, 3900, and 2.2 ecotec are slow improvements to their engine lineup. We will see how much of a success the GTO will be, but even though many don't like it (including myself) the car is still a tight musclecar that will sell.

IMO it's just taken GM the last 10 years to finally realize the cars are becoming obsolete, and it will take another couple years until we see some major improvements.

I don't really care. The only Oldsmobiles I like are already in my garage. There's no new Oldsmobile I'm interested in buying, and GM axed Olds because the general public felt the same way as I do.

I will go on the record and say I'll never buy a new car from ANY manufacturer. No matter how good my salary gets, I will never buy a brand new car. I'm too frugal, I don't believe in buying new.

neither am i. But then again, many feel buying used is just buying someone elses problem nowadays.

Yes...you could mainly tell from the badging. BUt...what gave it to me first was the color. I had never seen a Auora that color, and knew what it was (I have a promo thing from olds about that car).

jon

I will go on the record and say I'll never buy a new car from ANY manufacturer. No matter how good my salary gets, I will never buy a brand new car. I'm too frugal, I don't believe in buying new.

um...exactly. Why buy a new car when the day you leave the dealership you lose about $3000!! On a brand new car with 0.1 miles on the odo. Kinda sucks if you ask me. As for buying someone elses problem, to me, buying a used car is kinda a way to weed out the ones that are lemons. But again, thats just me.

Hopefully in the next few years GM will get some better power under the hood of their trucks (to keep up with the Dodge Hemi's and the Fords).

read the latest issue of Car and Driver, with the truck test in it. the Chevy Silverado is still quicker 0-60 by close to a second, even though it makes less horsepower than the F-150. it seems to me that Ford needs to beef up their truck engines, not General Motors

btw, the next Impala (w-body), will be rear wheel drive, according to the GM tech center.

I agree with runts. I'm not afraid to buy a used car. I hang out on truck forums and LOTS of people have had more problems with their brand new Silverados than I've had with my 99 that has 122k miles on it. Even my friend's 01 Alero fuel pump just went out, yet the fuel pump in my 89 is original and has never been changed with 198k miles on it. Sometimes you're screwed if you buy new, and screwed if you buy used, so if you're potentially screwed either way, I'd rather save the thousands of $$$ for some cool aftermarket goodies.

As far as Oldsmobile going away, the problem with their new cars is there was nothing special or especially desirable about any of them. Unremarkable in looks, styling, performance, reliability, and safety. The competition (imports) do everything better even though imports aren't my taste. GM spent too much time worrying about sales and not enough time building a product people want and building a fresh reputation.

The competition (imports) do everything better even though imports aren't my taste.

you're right 100%

in my opinion, in the last few years gm marketed oldsmobile as their import figher, i say this because the Alero, Intrigue, and Auroa seemed sportier than their corporate gm stablemates.