95 Lumina w/Tranny problems and EGR trouble codes

Tom

I am currently having 2 problems with my '95 Lumina 3.1 L with 4T60E auto trans (181,000 miles).

First of all, I get a ses light every day as soon as the car goes into closed loop. I hooked up a tech2 borrowed from a friend which revealed codes 77 (EGR1), 78 (EGR2), and 79 (EGR3). I have replaced the EGR valve which did not solve the problem. Any suggestions? The car seems to run fine.

Problem #2. About 3 weeks ago, I was driving to work when the tranny seemed to start slipping. At first it seemed as though it was an engine miss, but it quickly developed into a noticeable trans slip. When the slippage occurs, the speedometer drops off to nothing, and if I let off the accelerator, it seems to engage, and the speedo jumps back up to the current speed. After reading several posts on this forum, I changed the tranny fluid and filter. I also added about 1/2 bottle of Lucas transmission fix. This didn't seem to help things all that much. I have a long commute to work (~50 miles each way) and lately after driving for 5-10 miles, it starts slipping. Whenever I come to a complete stop, I have to manually shift the trans into 2nd to get the car to go. It seems as though the car is stuck in 3rd. I also have noticed that at this point of driving that I only seem to have 2nd and 3rd. No 1st or O.D. Yesterday moring, after filling up, I left the gas station and pulled out onto the highway. As I accelerated, the gas guage started jumping around. I haven't been able to get ahold of the tech2 to see if there are any other codes. I can't really tell because the EGR problem always sete the ses off :(

Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to get as much info out as possible. Any information/suggestions would surely be appreciated.

When you replaced the EGR, did you clean out the bore where the EGR mounts in the Intake Manifold? Maybe the upper intake manifold is plugged up with carbon deposits and needs to be cleaned out. Will your tranny "reset" itself if you turn off the ignition? If it does, it sounds like the clutch packs might be bad. I think your best bet is to take it to a tranny shop like AAMCO, and have them test it out (I don't think it costs very much for an estimate.) The gas gauge jumping around might be the float going bad.

I did clean the mounting area and the tube as best as I could. I guess there is the possibility I didn't get it clean enough. As far as the tranny resetting when shut off, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I noticed another strange thing while driving to/from work yesterday. On my way to work, I was experiencing the same "slippage, speedo jumping as before". I tried to put on the cruise control, but the cruise wouldn't work. On my way home, I tried the cruise and it worked, but when I pushed the lever on the cruise control to accelerate, the cruise seemed to quit working as if I stepped on the brake. I have checked the connections/wiring and nothings appears to be corroded and no broken/bare wires visible. Of course, I didn't pull trhe wires out of the plastic loom as it travels down to the tranny. I'm really suspecting an electrical problem. VSS??? ECM???