i got HUD :)

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i got HUD!!! well, it's not mounted yet but....

today me and my brother got the HUD wired in. my brother did most of the work since he is a helluva lot better with soldering (HUGE thanks). big thanks to Taylor for the extensive and detailed PM he sent me (my directions i printed out and had with me during wiring) and to Shawn for the cluster pinout on his site (also printed out and with me). anyway, i first wired in the HUD dimmer switch and the wires that send power to the HUD dimmer switch and HUD unit, and the ground. i was anxious to see if i got a bad HUD unit or not, so i plugged it in and checked......IT WORKS :) !!!! bright as hell too!!! i did the rest of the wires and everything works fine....turn signals, check engine light, high beam indicator etc, dim control, etc. i had the whole dash pad off during wiring and i had to just hold the HUD unit up to the windshield while i checked everything. i thought it was cool that the passenger cannot see the HUD display....you have to be right in front of the reflection on the windshield to see it. also, the glass under the metal grill on the HUD was EXTREMELY dusty, and this made the whole grill reflect up onto the winshield. i found out later that the grill is actually hinged and i can open it to clean it.

i had heard some people wired the HUD by simply striping a section of wire off the cluster harness and using black tape to connect the HUD wires to it - we actually cut the wires, soldered them back together, and added another wire inline during this using solder, flux and shrinkwrap, and running that wire to the HUD and HUD dimmer to their respective locations. the wiring job is extremely clean, and the connections are 100%. i'll try to get pics of the wiring when i install the HUD and HUD bracket next week. for right now i had to put the dash back together without it (ran out of time), and just tucked the plugs in behind the cluster. next monday i'm going to Denver again, and i'll be getting the whole dash pad from the same car i got my HUD from. this way i can temporarily mount the HUD, and also use the HUD dash as a guide to cut my original dash pad. well i'm happy :) later folks,

joshua

damn, I want one now, lol!

I was just looking through the users manual for the cutlass yesterday, and came across the HUD section.. damn, that'd be a cool add on.

I'm glad that you completed it successfully, and that I was able to help you with that. If you could help me, I would apreciate it if you would take a couple of pictures of the HUD dash before you install it. I want some pics of the holes for the mounting bracket, and the hole itself. I had to do a lot of guessing with mine because I have didn't have a dash and had to cut the hole itself, and although I have come across Cutlass's with HUD's, I have never taken the dash off of one, so I was totally flying blind on this.

thanks

Taylor

damn, I want one now, lol!

I was just looking through the users manual for the cutlass yesterday, and came across the HUD section.. damn, that'd be a cool add on.

And theres a 95% chance you actually have all the wiring already...you just need to get a HUD/dashpad/bracket/dimmer and mount everything. My old 94 Convertible had the wiring already...

Jason

Guest TurboSedan
I would also take the hud apart and carefully clean the mirrors inside. It will make a HUGE difference. I do it to all of mine.

yeah, i already had the cover off once and i'll be cleaning the mirror too. the screws on mine were behind the 'GM HUGHES ELECTRONICS' metal label on the sides on the HUD unit.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
I'm glad that you completed it successfully, and that I was able to help you with that. If you could help me, I would apreciate it if you would take a couple of pictures of the HUD dash before you install it. I want some pics of the holes for the mounting bracket, and the hole itself. I had to do a lot of guessing with mine because I have didn't have a dash and had to cut the hole itself, and although I have come across Cutlass's with HUD's, I have never taken the dash off of one, so I was totally flying blind on this.

thanks

Taylor

i'll try to get pics this week sometime. i have mon-thurs off so it shouldn't be a problem. i'm going down to Denver again on Monday to get LOTS of stuff from salvage yards.... CS leather seats, CS HUD dash, CS steering wheel w/controls, GP HUD & dash (for an STE Turbo i'm trying to buy or sell here), possibly an International front bumper....more stuff i can't even remember at the moment.

joshua

malibuolds, can you get somethign for me while at the salvage yard? I need a Oldsmobile rocket from the front grill of a 96 cutlass sedan. let me know if you find one and ill send you some money

Jon