just deleted the cat; hopefull gains?

GrandPrix34

Dont know if i did the right thing by deleting the hi-flo cat for mid to top range power...what do you guys think? My exhaust now consist of a downpipe, glasspack, glasspack then splits into a Y into the 40 series flowmasters.

havent ran it wit the GTECH but will later on 2night. THe car seems a bit slower when taking off, im guessing its the lost low end torque...hopefully all is not lost...lol

What does your G-tech say? I'm guessing its good for the 3.4 but bad for the pushrods.

:withstupid:

Its gonna affect torque, but for DOHC engines its gonna give it better top end. I don't want to get into it cause I really don't know what I'm talking about :lol:

here, read this thread especially what Hippie said, as he seems to know his shit.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14490&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

i think that muffler shop got a complain by the city or something because he said that he highly recommended the glasspack ( in a "im gonna put in anywayz kind of way")

I probably would have left the hi-flo in there. My old engine couldn't spin the tires from a standstill, but for some reason the 97, which everyone says has so much less low tq can roach 'em quite nicely. You will lose a noticable amount of low end. As far as the top end, you probably won't gain as much as you lost low end.

well i only got slower...ran the GTECH and did not get lower than a 15.8 with one time hitting a 16.0...

What do you guys think? 2 glasspacks, 2 mufflers not good? I feel not because the car is about the same, maybe a bit more quieter but the damn thing doesnt haul ass as i thought it would..!!! :evil:

after I pulled my Cat off I was able to set the tires a blaze just as easily as when it was in there (before it got pluged up) I noticed that I'm much faster on the highway (after racing my friend Marty in his 94 Grand AM many times) and that the car just seems to pull better thru all RPM's, I did however notice a significent loss in gas milage..

I'm going to be taking the car to the track here in the very near future (next weekend?) so hopefully I'll be able to post some results of my findings (without the cat in place) or at least some bragging numbers.

--Dave.

Probably best if you get an FFP chip cause I bet the computer gets whacked when you pull off the cat. Reprogrammed chip will probably get you BETTER gas mileage and better performance to go with the extra flow.

Probably best if you get an FFP chip cause I bet the computer gets whacked when you pull off the cat. Reprogrammed chip will probably get you BETTER gas mileage and better performance to go with the extra flow.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.

--Dave.

i still don't understand why they installed glasspacks and mufflers

glasspacks to help with the raspy ass sound.

i disagree with the statement that flows are too raspy

ok, someone answer me this....

what would flow more CFM of exhaust...

a glasspack or a High-flo cat?

Im really thinking of going to another muffler shop and having them hack-off the glasspack and also the second part of the Y-split to make it a single outlet exhaust....

it does!

Im just asking because i deleted the cat and put a glasspack in its place...

exhaust is:

---(downpip)---(glasspack)-----(glasspack)----=(Y-Split)---(Flow's)

i'd pull off both glasspacks and keep the dual flows. you don't need that shit

i have pictures of my exhaust if you want

i'd take off my cat but emissions testing is coming back to michigan :verymad:

A glasspack on a W-body with no cat and Flowmasters is a good idea. The glasspack acts as a resonator to keep the raspiness out of the exhaust. Those of you with the cat still installed have no need for a resonator.

Flowmasters and no resonator is definetely not a good idea. I don't know what these people here are thinking when they say that flowmasters arent raspy on a 60*V6 without resonators. Bullshit.

60*V6 engines are naturally really loud and raspy. That's just the way they are. When people say otherwise they must be confusing the raspiness for good sound.

When I got my car it was missing one muffler, and damn are these engines loud and raspy. So the first thing I did was stick 2 Magnaflow's (which are are known for not being raspy like flows) on it. It sounded great except for there was a drone at 2200 or so RPM. So the next thing I did was stick on a carsound high flow cat on (my stock one had no interals left at all when I took it off, just an empty shell). This made the condition better but it was still there a little bit.

So I next replaced my resonator (which was also void of any sound deadening material) with a glasspack. Sounded awesome. But the glasspack started rattling because glaspacks are cheap garbage. So I bought a round magnaflow muffler and put that in place of the glasspack. And that's where I am today. No rasp, and awesome sound.

I hate the sound of 60's with flows with no resonator and no cat. It annoys the hell out of me. Lots of people around here stick flows on 3.1 z24's and they sound like crap. I bet flows would sound great if they put a cat and resonator on there...

Anyways, to answer your original question, glasspacks have much less backpressure than high flow cats. I'm not saying that high flow cats have a lot, but glasspacks are straight through design, they pretty much dont offer any resistance. The most restricitive thing in your exhaust are your flowmasters.