7th injector

DaveFromColorado

Hey all, I believe Heza posted before about a mystery plug

505596_63_full.jpg

I spoke to a retired GM mechanic who worked thru 95, and he specialized in the V6's there. He informed me that there was a "cold start" injector included on some of the vehicles but not all, it was a fairly random event, but since I saw the post I thought I'd ask someone who knew and get some information to hand off to everyone.

--Dave

he said he knows for a fact it's on the 2.8's and the 3.1's and he also said he remembers that the 7th injector doesn't look at all like an injector but more like some type of sensor and that it had been so long since he'd seen one (more then 10 years) that he can't remember all the little details about it.

--Dave.

I'm starting to think he's full of it. How is this separate injector getting fuel and where would it sit? Ive heard of cold start injectors but never on a 2.8 or 3.1. Maybe he's thinking of the IAT sensor that'll tell the ecm to add more fuel when the air is cold? I dunno

Also I cant remember where this plug was found, but maybe it's for the optional magnasteer system? A sensor is added to the p/s pump.

he was 100% sure about it being for a cold start injector, it will add fuel to the system, I haven't personally seen it, or how it connects to the rails, but I am on the hunt at the local junkyards to see if I can find anything that match what he's talking about.

--Dave

No offense, but just because he is a retired GM mechanic doesn't mean he knows everything. I've been misled many times by claimed "professionals" that don't know shit. :lol:

this guy knew quite a bit about other aspects of the system, and being L1 ASE certified I'd imagine he knows his stuff. I'm still looking in the Junkyards before I outright call him an idiot.

--Dave

I believe it. Some old man I met on the streets of chicago was tellin me that the son of the CEO of the Saturn corporation was installing nitrous into random cars for the hell of it. Crazy shit man, but yeah, I bet that car had a 7th injector used for the nitrous kit.

Guest TurboSedan
I believe it. Some old man I met on the streets of chicago was tellin me that the son of the CEO of the Saturn corporation was installing nitrous into random cars for the hell of it. Crazy shit man, but yeah, I bet that car had a 7th injector used for the nitrous kit.

hahahahahhahahaha

oh man, but really...a 7th injector and tuning could be put to very good use in forced induction. kinda wished my car had an 'extra' injector plug...

btw, if a certain car had an extra 7th injector 'cold start' plug that wasn't used, would the ECM/EPROM 'see' it or otherwise have any function for it....or otherwise be 'turned on' at a specific boost pressure?

I'm starting to think he's full of it. How is this separate injector getting fuel and where would it sit? Ive heard of cold start injectors but never on a 2.8 or 3.1. Maybe he's thinking of the IAT sensor that'll tell the ecm to add more fuel when the air is cold? I dunno

Also I cant remember where this plug was found, but maybe it's for the optional magnasteer system? A sensor is added to the p/s pump.

Optional magnasteer system for what?

its 1 red wire that needs to be ran to the positive to turn the pump on manually. Ill take "not a fuel pump tester for .25 alex". Its the infamous nitrous kit install, i swear. I got that guys number if anyone wants to call:)

its 1 red wire that needs to be ran to the positive to turn the pump on manually. Ill take "not a fuel pump tester for .25 alex". Its the infamous nitrous kit install, i swear. I got that guys number if anyone wants to call:)

Called it! Yes!