TGP Running. UPDATED!!! (*14 PICS*) 6-6-04

Pontiac6KSTEAWD

Okay, now that i had it out with the dealer and autopart stores cause I was right about which side of the motor was odd plugs, and which was even. Turns out, I was wrong. The front, which in my book is suppose to be odd, is even, and vice versa for the back. So got it wired correctly, and man does she run. She smokes pretty bad thou. The Turbo is dumping oil into the intake. No freeplay in the turbo, it spools really nice. Just the o-rings are bad, I think. Either rebuild it, or replace it. Holley sells a rebuilt t25 garret for these motors for 682 bucks. not sure if thats a good deal or not.

The motor runs great even thou the turbo is dumping all that oil in there, and the x-over pipe is wasted. Not even a SES (service engine soon) light. Transmission seems solid, wasnt able to really drive it, no license plates or insurance. Leaking coolant out of a line that runs along the lower frame rail in the engine compartment. Not sure what this is, just know I need to replace it. Upon closer inspection of the tan leather seats, they arent in to bad of shape as far as the leather itself goes. I will have to have an upholster put them on another adjustable seat once i find one, the side baffles on mine are bad. Got a black spoiler off a 91 GP with the B4U package (dont ask guys, the only thing left was the trunk lid and the rear bumper, and i got the spoiler, rest of car was car fire).

Im going to try to get this car legal enuf to have it pass inspection so I can be rid of the salvage title. Then put it into my garage and completely rebuild the motor (including balance and blue print, mill and hone, port and polish, port matched, that type of stuff), and trans (maybe, not sure if i want to put a 5 speed in it or not). Basicly it will be a frame up restoration, new carpet, Completly sand the body inside and out, and prime/repaint. Obviuosly it will have a Jeff M. x-over. But I think I might leave the rest stock. Not sure. Havent gotten that far yet.....

Any ideas on the turbo would be apreciated. Maybe the t28? Just wondering about the O2 sensor.... Sorry about the long post. Been awhile since I posted and thought I would update everyone...

I would either rebuild it yourself, or buy a DP. I wouldn't waste my money ($700) on a stock turbo. As far as the cylinders go, DAMNIT MAN :lol: , the lower intake is numbered on the runners. You have to go opposite the manifold for that number (runners form an X upper to lower) The lower intake has many people confused (myself included for a few days) One suggestion may I make to ANYONE wanting to go for a 5 speed swap. You're already going to have everything apart, go the extra 1/2 mile and swap to vacuum brakes at the same time. They are so much better, and it would be SOOO easy w/ the pedal assy, and everything else already out. (I honestly don't know why you WOULDN'T swap it, Kenny??? Any insight?)

I honestly don't know why you WOULDN'T swap it, Kenny???

My wife cant drive a stick. And if we move. I need her to be able to drive it, cause her car is untowable, unless we flat bed it. Her Car is All Wheel Drive. And its also a thing where if her car breaks down, she can drive it, Since she cant drive my Ford Expedition...

No,no,no,no, I meant why wouldn't you swap the brakes if you already have the car apart for the tranny swap. I totally understand why someone wouldn't want to swap to a 5 speed, there too fast, and WAY to much fun to drive. :lol:

Yeah i agree 700 is way to much. I sent mine into cheapturbo.com and im getting a complete rebuild, complete meaning all new internal components for 500. if its just bearings and seals you need you could send it to them and get it done for like 300 i believe. check them out....

I honestly don't know why you WOULDN'T swap it, Kenny???

My wife cant drive a stick. And if we move. I need her to be able to drive it, cause her car is untowable, unless we flat bed it. Her Car is All Wheel Drive. And its also a thing where if her car breaks down, she can drive it, Since she cant drive my Ford Expedition...

So, teach her how to drive a stick. Its really not that hard. Just start out an actually explain to her what she needs to do (slowly let out the clutch, etc....), and then have her practice starting from a stop in an empty parking lot or something. Then have her practice driving and shifting on back roads where there isn't much traffic. Then give her the keys and make her drive the car for a week. By the end of the week, she'll know how to drive it. (and if your lucky, you won't have to put a new clutch in it)

Shawn

You're already going to have everything apart, go the extra 1/2 mile and swap to vacuum brakes at the same time. They are so much better, and it would be SOOO easy w/ the pedal assy, and everything else already out. (I honestly don't know why you WOULDN'T swap it, Kenny??? Any insight?)

Insight to doing 5-speed or vacuum brakes? I never considered doing the brake conversion because the brakes in my car were in very good working order. Who has done the vacuum conversion on a TGP here? 8)

I meant, while doing a 5 speed swap, why not go ahead and do the vac. brakes swap? Everything is already apart, the only thing not removed would be the lines. The p/o of my new TGP has done the swap and ChrisA. And let me tell you guys it worth it. Yeah, they worked fine, but it's like out x-overs, they WILL break. And just because something works doesn't mean you can't make it better (if that was the case, none of us would mod our cars) I'm just saying, if you're doing the 5 speed swap, you might as well do the vac. brake swap while you're, "all up in it." :lol: Surely no-one doing a 5 speed swap is worried about originality, so why not get some better brakes while you're modding stuff. Unfortunately, w/ my new TGP I AM worried about originality, so at some point down the road, I will be going back to the WalletCrasherIII, I just need to get w/ Prior and get a new M/C. HOWEVER, the vacuum setup WILL be going on my 5 speed car when I have the motor out for the rebuild/tranny work. I hope I cleared up what I was talking about.

Question 1: What year, make, model vaccum brakes will "bolt up" to the TGP firewall?

Question 2: Are there any vacuum assist brake systems that will work with the ABS system or do you have to kill that too?

I never had any issue with my WalletThinnerIII system accept for the accumulator which came brand new in the trunk when I bought the car. When the rotors were clean, and the pads were good the car stopped like a champ. I did not like the ABS pulses that came under hard turn breaking though!!

8)

Q' 1: I'm sure you know, but if not, you must replace the firewall panel (it bolts on) w/ the panel from the donor car. So, any year car you get the panel out of, the brakes will work. You have to replace the pedal assy, lines and all.

Q'2: I'm not sure on that, I don't know the exact ABS unit it is, but I'm sure if you could x-ref the ABS unit to any other car w/ the same unit that was vac. you would be set. Problem is, what kind of car is it? You're probably screwed since GM used the same setup for all Poncho ABS cars.

My brakes SUCK ASS, I thought my Cutty had shitty brakes, but then I get in Black Sunshine, and I just hate them. I know I need an acumulator (pump cycles every pedal press) but man they are horrible. The main expensive problem is the housing crack. (Which is the reason my brakes were converted) Another thing I was thinking about today that my car has that most TGP's (If any) don't have: Security Lighting, it's fun too.

Damn you and your security lighting.. I want that.. :( I've got the hardware, just need to wire it up.

The PMIII in the TGP is still going alright. The 'Brake' light stays on after startup for about 5-10 seconds, but then it goes off and never comes back on. The ABS light comes on after I start driving, which I think is from a bad wheel sensor(s). I'm picking up a core unit to have in the case that this one decides to shit the bed.

Another thing I was thinking about today that my car has that most TGP's (If any) don't have: Security Lighting, it's fun too.

My TGP came with Security lighting stock. I am actually pretty sure that all the TSTE's had it. Now, for the 2 doors I think I read than only '89 had it or something like that?

I do have to agree that TGP's have really shitty brakes though.

BTW...does anyone know where I can get an accumulator and what it costs?

Thanks,

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...
Another thing I was thinking about today that my car has that most TGP's (If any) don't have: Security Lighting, it's fun too.

My 89 TGP as the SL.... my 89 Base to SE conversion has it too.. and Diggy's 90 4 door LE has it.. So I don't understand why some 90 TGP's don't have it.. Being a TOP OF THE LINE...They should!!!!!!

I think I read what Shawn is talking about too... Security Lighting was an 89 only option, and less than 80 (IIRC) had it as an option. One of mine does. I still haven't seen the other one so I couldn't tell you.... :cry:

• 1 month later...

Ok heres the pics of the Beasts, both the 89 (befor the part swapping and after) and the 90 as I got it from the guy I bought it from. Need to go over and get more pics of the 90 after the part swapping. I came out alright on the deal. I paid 450 for the wrecked 90 TGP, and 300 for the blown (i think) 89 TGP. Sold the 89 TGP for 350 after taking all the parts (for the most part) that I needed to fix the body on the 90 TGP. I also had a few extra parts that he needed for another car he had that I threw into the deal for free.

89 TGP Befor the part swapping:

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2089TGP.JPG

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2089TGP2.JPG

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2089TGP3.JPG

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2089TGP4.JPG

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2089TGP5.JPG

89 TGP After the part swapping:

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/After%2089TGP.JPG

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/After%2089TGP6.JPG

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/After%2089TGP7.JPG

Notice the monte carlo and caddywac rims. I managed to keep the Goldcrosslace since the rims on the 90 were fried, not to mention the 89 rims had new Yokohama A540 50VR tires on them. If you also look closely, you will see a 94 GTP hood with the non-functional hood louvers. We got the hood from a local yard, and it fits perfectly. Also as mentioned earlier, the 89 TGP is sold and long gone to be reborn in Virgina. The guy I sold it to has 2 others, one with a title, one without. And he plans on rebuilding the one I sold him with the one without a title.

EDIT : And on this pic:

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/After%2089TGP4.JPG

we had to straighten out the bumper befor it would mount to the holes on the blown TGP. So we used a Chevy Suburban, and just ran it over till it was straight. Never have done body work like that befor, but it actually worked very well. END EDIT.

90 TGP Befor the part swapping:

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2090TGP.jpg

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2090TGP1.jpg

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2090TGP2.jpg

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2090TGP3.jpg

http://24.103.172.58/w-body/Befor%2090TGP4.jpg

Thanks Canadian Baddass for the pic hosting, If its to much, let me know and I will edit down as needed. Sorry for not having pics of the 90 TGP after the part swapping, thought I did, turned out I didnt. I do have a 93? DIC I plan on puttin in the 90 TGP after I find out if its just as simple as plug and play or not. if its not, I will probly have a shop do it. I can do mechanics and body work, but I hate messing with electronics. Yes the 90 TGP is running, but it has problems. The x-over is fried (of course), the exhaust leaks, the windsheild is cracked, other than that, Im putting in a new radiator I think I found at a local wholesale warehouse. If it is the right one, I will let you guys know and sell them to you guys. New condensor and drier (must have AC). Also a new outside drivers door handle, as you guys know, they always break. Any other info you guys want? Let me know and I will try to fill in the blank spots.

Right now the TGP project got put on hold today. My truck got broken into, and they did alot of damage, and I am fighting with the Insurance company. You guys know how that goes (I hope not). And until I find out how much thats going to cost me, I cant risk any money into the TGP. Hopefully they will total out the truck. But they probly wont.

You know.... I was looking at the 89 TGP pics and saying to myself.. "Why in the hell would he swap the parts off a Non-wrecked TGP into a wrecked one?"..It was bogging my mind... Then I saw the 90 TGP had Gray leather and a Sunroof... And was like "Ahhh ah...That's why.." :lol: :lol:

Now did you take the 89's glass headlight/Black trim foglights & corner turn signals and swap them to the 90 TGP?

If it was me , I would have swapped engine and interior into the 89...

Why.. Becuase I don' t see as many 89 TGP's as I see 90's.. So maybe there are fewer 89 TGP's left?

I've got the newer DIC in my auto TGP and the P/O said it was nothing major. So, I don't see why it would be. (Of course he also said that the vacuum brakes weren't a big deal either. :shock: ) Man, what the hell happened under the hood of that 89???

:shock: ) Man, what the hell happened under the hood of that 89???

The kid I bought it from had been told the timing chain had popped. So he proceeded in tearing down the passenger side of the motor with out really caring how things went back together or anything. Then when half way done, he gave up on the project and listed it here for sale. I bought it, and realized that the timing chain was ok, it just had not had a tune up in OVER 120,000 miles. And even that tune up was shabby at best. It had 6 diferent spark plugs in it. 4 different types of plug wires. And the electrodes on each plug was was GONE!!! Needless to say, it needed a tune up and started right up. But upon further investigation, we found it had more problems than I really wanted to handle. Then I found the 90 model, :twisted: and I became quite happy.....

You know.... I was looking at the 89 TGP pics and saying to myself.. "Why in the hell would he swap the parts off a Non-wrecked TGP into a wrecked one?"..It was bogging my mind... Then I saw the 90 TGP had Gray leather and a Sunroof... And was like "Ahhh ah...That's why.." :lol: :lol:

Exactly daniel son lol.

Now did you take the 89's glass headlight/Black trim foglights & corner turn signals and swap them to the 90 TGP?

This was actually kinda odd. Both the 89 and 90 had glass headlights. They both also had black trimed corner lights. Just one year had more black trim then the other. One set was kinda broken, the other wasnt. So I took the set that wasnt broken. Foglights, I couldnt tell a diference on them, and since they all survived, I took the best of the sets.

If it was me , I would have swapped engine and interior into the 89... Why.. Becuase I don' t see as many 89 TGP's as I see 90's.. So maybe there are fewer 89 TGP's left?

Glad you isnt me LOL. That car had issues, It coulda been rebuilt, I just dont have the time or the money. The body work is almost done on the 90 model. And its deffinetly going to be cheaper to get back on the road then the 89 was. AND since the 89 didnt have a sunroof, it was a no shitter to see t he 90 was going to be put back on the road :lol: .

Nice pictures. The Vacuum ABS of a 1992 will not fit. The Turbo is in the way. So unless they have move the whole ABS thing it won't fit. I had to get rid of mine

Adam

Nice pictures. The Vacuum ABS of a 1992 will not fit. The Turbo is in the way. So unless they have move the whole ABS thing it won't fit. I had to get rid of mine

Adam

Actually, the ABS module on the 90 works great. No brake lights or ABS lights. I was quite stoked about that...