belt

zachismisit

Well, I recently got my alternator changed, and when I did, they reminded me that my belt will soon need to be replaced too.

I have a 95 olds cutlass with the 3100.

I was just curious about how much you guys think this will set me back, and how hard is it too install.

I'm guessing I canr eally f*ck up timing if I don't know what I'm doing...

You car does not have a distributor and so no distributor to adjust the timing. It is electronically controlled since you got a DIS (Distributorless Ignition System). Usually, you just loosen the serpentine belt tensioner by using a ratchet tool. The serpentine belt tensioner has a square hole where the ratchet square drive fits and you rotate the serpentine belt tensioner to loosen the belt and remove it. Installation is just the reverse.

If your car uses a timing belt aside from a timing chain, it is covered by a timing cover and not easily changed.

Guest TurboSedan
I just used a crowbar to push down the tensioner on mine.. pop the belt off. I dunno if its different from a 2.8 to a 3100. ??

i don't think it gets any easier than sticking a 3/8" drive ratchet into the square hole and doing it that way. does your tensioner not have the 3/8" square hole in the center of the pulley on the tensioner?

joshua