WOT boost

TurboGTU

OK got the car on the road and the boost controller works.... :P .. It was a bad solder on the female plug on the ecm. If you ever removed a ecm from a L body You'll know why it might have craked like that.

Anyway. I have a problem with boost. I had set my boost something like this at WOT.

rpm////psi

6400 at 8.59

5600 at 9.61

4800 at 10.29

4000 at 10.85

3200 at 10.17

2400 at 9.83

From a stop to a WOT all the way to redline in 1st...the boost doesn't seem to pass 5-6psi. But in 3rd it goes all the way like it should. Is this normal?

And I have a trans problem. I have no freaking 2nd gear. I have changed the oil and filter even if the oil it had was good. It was working fine when I parked the car last september. But now it doen't work. I know its not the clutches---no clutch deposits on oil or oil pan. Well heres the deal...when you drive it stays in 1st and then shift to 3rd and when you drop it from D to 2nd gear it just shift back into 1st. If I shift to 1st nothing happens but when I let off the gas in 1st it trans brakes...which is normal...but when I shift to 2nd thieres no trans brake ...it feels like a manual valvebody trans in 1st...it just glides. What could it be?....You suppose its the valve body or check balls. Does this trans have a foward piston?. Anyone run into something like this?

Oh and to top it off....when I was on the highway...the oil presure sensor decited to leak oil thugh the electrical plugh??? :? ...Smoke everywhere.. :evil: . I had to ditch the electric guage and install a mechanical one.....OH which by the way brings another subject....

When I was on the highway with low and no oil presure....the tail pipe smoked like a barbecue....White smoke indicating oil burning...I thought the bearings on the turbo went or the oil return cloged. I even thought I blew a piston...but Nope. All the spark plugs were clean, the turbo was good and the oil return hose was stright and firm. I ran the car with the new guage and I did not smoke at all. SO I am guessing that when theres no oil presure or not enough pressure in the turbo...the remaning oil spins around the turbine shaft and into the turbine itself ...burning. With presure the oil is forced stright down into the drain pipe....which is facing more like 5oclock instead of 6oclock like it should...or should it?.

Dam soo many things...but oh well... thought I get everything out in one hit.

The cars is freaking fast for 2 gears. 8)

Well, I can tell you this much about the boost situation: My 5 speed, I can hardly build any boost due to the tall first gear. I get boost, but there is such a low load (low gear keeps load off engine) it can't build much boost. 2nd is a different story, I can light up the tires at will in second w/ about a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. 3rd I hit boost cut, it pulls like none other. NOW, my auto, I'm having a slight problem w/ so it's not a good candidate for testing, but I build hardly any boost in first, 4-5 psi IF THAT!!! Second is pretty crazy though. What it amounts to is the more load on the engine, the more exhaust it will make, the more boost it will make. Now, I CAN make boost in first in the 5 speed, but it's no good, tires become a long lost memory when that happens. I'm sure it would in an auto as well. And I can't preach enough, smoke=slow=lose

The tranny, I would suspect the valve body, we have always SWORN and LIVED by Trans-X. The tranny tech at my old D-ship has used it for some 30 years. He bought it at Carquest (IIRC) I have never looked at the apply chart of a 4T60, but the rev. band shouldn't apply in second (Indicator), it should only apply in 1st (LOW). So, I wouldn't use that as a ref. point when trying to find out what is/isn't applying. That is your key here, you need a flow chart to find out what isn't applying when it's supposed to. Usually, you will find it in 2 different occasions that something isn't right. Find out what applies (or doesn't) in those situations, and look there. HTH.

The oil leak. I was surprised to find out at work (Guide Corporation) if you cut the insulation on a wire to a rear lamp. THE LAMP WILL FAIL A LEAK CHECK!!! I thought that was nuts until I saw it w/ my own eyes. Air travels the length of the wire, out of the socket (we have 7 of them :shock: ) and through the hole. It's crazy. So, I understand how oil would do the same thing. Not help, but it kind of explains what happened.

Whow.. :o ..Thats intresting. I though that wasn't normal. Anybody else like this in 1st gear boost. I don't have a problem with traction at all. But would like to know its limits though.

On the trans I have even put a $15 bottle of prolong trans treatment. NOTHING. I will try that Tran-x. I saw the bottle but I thought it only stoped leaks. If that doesn't work I will drop the tranny.

Oh and on the oil issue. It smoked again! I guess it is the oil return hose. It could only be the oil return hose cuz its the only thing I haven't replaced. :oops: . I rebuild the turbo and the engine of cours. And theres no leaks. I assume that the engine vacum does make the hose collaps or blister internaly. HA...idbeast and Chris were right. I knew..but was stubben about it beeing good. OH well live and learn...the hard way...LOL.

Thanks for the help..anything is apreciated.

I was wondering about WOT boost too, when i gun it from a stop, i get a full 14-15 pounds until the car gets into third gear, as soon as that happens its like something is not capable of holding the boost and it goes down to around 9 lbs...which is obviously quite a drop! Could my injectors be giving out or whats the deal guys!?

OH full boost from 1st to 2nd...OK..Are you using a Manual boost controller or stock. If stock then I think theres a 1st gear limitation that prevents the boost selinoid from activating to allow more boost. Well eather 1st gear limitation or MPH limitation. From 0-50mph (1st gear)I only can get 5-6 psig. At 55-120+ (3rd) I get full boost. My brothers turbo coupe can get full boost in 1st gear at about 4K rpm. I don't see why this undersized turbo won't spool up in 1st to full boost. If there is such a thing...Anybody know how to find it in the chip. Is it in the 8f.ecu code.

I did run into a glitch in 3rd at about 4500+ rpm and 12psi. It felt like it was detonating or backfireing. Might be because the turbo was causing too much heat or was inefiecent. I did calm it down by pulling out timming up there but felt like crap. I ran it with more initial advanced timming with 9 psi and ran stronger with stock spark retard. Yours sounds like its too much for the stock turbo to boost up in high rpm in high load. I might lower it to 8 psi and mess around with timming more. BUT my tranny is still messed up. Im heading out today to get another one.