Intercooler

RenegadeZ

8) ... I plan on dropping a newer 3.4 in her sometime b4 next spring I was just trying to figure out what I wanted to do to add even more hp while keeping the 3.4 engine.

IC without a turbo will hurt ya performance, takes longer for the air 2 get from the air filter to the TB. if ya rebuiling the 3.4, drop the compression and boost the thing.

-Jeff

i have a TGP and a 3.4 90 grand prix (still in the works), both auto and both *should* be puttin as much power to the wheels, but since the TDC likes to breath up top, i might have to do a similar setup on the 3.4 with a t3/t4 turbo and sum serious head work.

-Jeff

ive got a LOT of $ into the SE, and now i have a TGP to play around with. The 3.4 thats now in the car isnt quite stock, but were not going to go there. Right now im builing a 350 ranger (in with the pics) and a 355 5 speed 87 firebird, so both GPs are being ignored :evil:

-Jeff

A bunch of know how, no money (outta work), and spend a lotta my nights under ppls hoods of cars. I learn from a lotta the old school people and do a lot of reading. Im 1 of the only people on here who does NOT like fuel injection, 4 cylinders or FWD. Not sure why I have a thing for the GPs and select few other newer (post 85) cars, but shit, ill use what I know and learn what I dont.

-Jeff

A bunch of know how, no money (outta work), and spend a lotta my nights under ppls hoods of cars. I learn from a lotta the old school people and do a lot of reading. Im 1 of the only people on here who does NOT like fuel injection, 4 cylinders or FWD. Not sure why I have a thing for the GPs and select few other newer (post 85) cars, but shit, ill use what I know and learn what I dont.

-Jeff

I like Carburated RWD V8's as much as anyone else. I hate 4 cylinders with a passion. FWD also is something that I am not estatic about, but thats what I have so thats what I play with. I just happen to have 6 cyl, fuel injection, & FWD, but what I really want has only one of the aspects you listed above. (I REALLY want a L67 Fiero) And a late 60's, early 70's big block muscle car would be nice to have also.

Just cause people on here drive GP's and want to make them nice, doesn't mean they like Fuel Injection, or FWD (not to mention 4 cylinders since most on here have 6's). I think thats just what they have, so thats what they play with. I am sure they all like RWD Carburated beasts as much as you and me.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan
I am sure they all like RWD Carburated beasts as much as you and me.

Shawn

i for one hate carbs, i will never own a car with that obsolete ancient 'technology' ever again :)

joshua

I dont like carbs for my hotrods, Fuel infection is fine a daily driver cauz it starts everytime in cold, hot or moist weather, but I cant tell u how many efi problems i have gone thru. My favorite sight was a 468 sucking a fuel injector into the enigne =)

rwd car lift the front tires, better control around corners (argue this 1 for ages), brakestand, drift, and easyer 2 do swap with. Like I said before, im learning from the old school, and since the current new shit is all rice, im stayin away.

-Jeff

There's are reasons why cars don't have carbs anymore. Try to tune a turbo carb setup. :twisted:

Don't get me wrong my first engine swap was a 350 powered CJ5 that I still have today and I love the thing. I just think that if you want both performance and fuel economy there is nothing like FI. Look at the new corvettes...they get around 29 mpg on the highway(6 speed). I'd like to see a car with a carb do that :roll:

There's are reasons why cars don't have carbs anymore. Try to tune a turbo carb setup. :twisted:

Don't get me wrong my first engine swap was a 350 powered CJ5 that I still have today and I love the thing. I just think that if you want both performance and fuel economy there is nothing like FI. Look at the new corvettes...they get around 29 mpg on the highway(6 speed). I'd like to see a car with a carb do that :roll:

Very true about the gas mileage. My dads GTP got 37mpg on the freeway until he changed his gears a few weeks ago, and as you can see from my sig, it ran a 12.40 like that. I am betting it still gets over 30 though, I'll have to check it out and see what exactly it is now. I would love to see a carb'd car do that!

Shawn

.. I must point out here that i am a 4-banger turbo owner, not some honda or POS like that, it's a 1980 Mustang Turbo, pre-fuel injection, and with a little dyno tuning, I got it to pull 140 hp to the wheels (orignially rated at 140 at the crank) with the new engine that was* in there, we figure I was breaking the 200 hp range as I was putting in about 15lbs extra boost for a total of 30lbs thru a holley 500cfm 2bbl carb, I toasted that engine long before I was able to get it on the dyno (lost the oil return line from the turbo to the oilpan) this year I'm dropping in an other 2.3 4-banger and will have that lil' guy tuned on the dyno, and should be out and about before the end of summer.

I hafta say, I like tuning carb's way better then fuel injection, for so many reasons, but right now my priority is still my Z as I've wanted one since 1991 when they first came out, and now I finally own one (again)

--Dave

Guest TurboSedan

i own a turbo 4-banger also, but it is port fuel injected. for tuning i'd love to get a 3-bar MAP and one of THESE i haven't looked into it much yet; looks cool but expensive. even a stage 4 3-bar cal SMEC would be nice, and is less than $200.

i really like how it sounds with 3" JRB mandrel bent exhaust and a Dynomax Ultra-flo. some 4 cylinders really do have torque!

joshua