Strange noise (water gurgling) HELP PLEASE!!

TeeJay3800

Within the last few weeks I've noticed a sound that sounds like water gurgling through pipes from under the hood. It only does it at low idle. When I rev it a little my exhuast covers the sound so I don't know if it is still there or not. Any ideas what would be causing a gurgling sound at idle???

There should be a relief valve on top of the thermostat location. When idling, just slowly unscrew that relief valve until air or some of the coolant comes out. Make sure you put a rag around it just in case it spills out.

I'll replace the radiator cap and then bleed some of the coolant mix. How much should I bleed? Until no more air comes out??

Yes until no more air comes out. You'll be able to determien this when antifreeze starts squirting out.

gurguling means you have a leak in the system somewhere....at least that's what i've always been told

check the radiator cap, all hoses, and the draincock...hopefully it isn't more serious then that

Well it looks like there's air in my coolant system, which means there's a leak somewhere. The question is, where is the air getting in. I just went out and looked at everything I could see (hoses, clamps, head gasket), but there were no visible leaks I could find (at least not at night with a flashlight). It would be nice if it is as simple as the radiator cap, but where else should I look specifically?

Also, I know I have a leaking steering rack, could this also be cause the strange gurgling sound at idle?

Start the car, pull the p/s cap and look for air bubbles, if u dont see any, go turn the wheel back and fourth a few times and check again.

take a look at the clamps on the lower radiator hose and on the waterneck, can leak as well.

-Jeff

Just replace the radcap and see if it fixes it. Mine looked fine but I had the same problem, so I replaced it and it was fixed.

Hell it's worth doing, they are cheap, and I'm 99% sure it's the likely cause.