Need help with 1991 3.4 - Pontiac GTP

94oldsdohc

Just purchased this car to replace my previous Olds W-body car.

1. Trying to fix a nagging low-fuel light that statys "On" all the time. Do I have to replace the sender in the fuel tank?

2. Also, have a 32 code on the engine. The EGR and relay was replaced with new parts, nevertheless, the code is still there.

3. And last, which company makes the best chip for this application. The car is a Pontiac GTP, 3.4 DOHC-Auto, with California emissions package.

Thanks!!

Try this for your fuel gauge indicator problem.

http://www.w-body.com/service/checkgauges.html

or I have similar problem but related to the Integrated Chip (IC) http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/sands/2476/automobile/digital_instrument_cluster.htm

With regards to your EGR, make sure that the EGR passage ways are not blocked with hardened carbon. Replacing the EGR and relay may not fix the problem, it might have been just there is still a blockade along the pipe of the EGR coming from the exhaust pipe and the pipe or hole in the intake manifold. Try disconnecting th battery for a couple of minutes to see if that clears out the error since you have already replaced the EGR and relay.

For the EGR issue...make sure you check fuses

Specifically ignition fuses in the engine compartemnet fuse box

My gp threw a EGR code and i found out one of the ignition fuses had been put back in the wrong place...go figure

Although if that was the case...you would most likely have a dead batt...but check anyways

Just purchased this car to replace my previous Olds W-body car.

why'd you ever buy a Pontiac to replace an Oldsmobile?

:joke: no offense i'm just partial to Oldsmobile

3. And last, which company makes the best chip for this application. The car is a Pontiac GTP, 3.4 DOHC-Auto, with California emissions package.

Thanks!!

ben's chip.

why'd you ever buy a Pontiac to replace an Oldsmobile?

Shopped all around for an Oldsmobile with a 3.4 engine; either the cars were trashed or too many miles. ALthough I am an Olds man at heart, this GTP is fully loaded with all the options and it drives like a new car.

It was always garaged since new, the owner gacve me all the service records since new, including the original window sticker. Just have to fix minor stuff.

Thanks for all the input.

By the way, how do I get in touch with Ben for the chip?

Guest TurboSedan

1. Trying to fix a nagging low-fuel light that statys "On" all the time. Do I have to replace the sender in the fuel tank?

Thanks!!

i would hope not but it probably is. i accidentaly broke the plastic 'stop tab' off of my sending unit so it always just reads full all the time. it sounds like yours is just sticking. i have since gotten another puel pump hanger/level sending unit assembly, but i'm not looking forward to dropping the gas tank again....it was by far the biggest PITA yet with my car. if this turns out to be the problem with yours i guess it would be a good time to replace the fuel pump & sock filter before it goes out too.

joshua