Fuel Sending Unit....plus an EMBARRASING story...:)

gmrulz4u

OK, well if you've read any of my last messages, you know what I've been experiencing since Friday. If not, read them!!

Anyway, I got towed(free due to my job) from a mall parking lot to my home Friday night, and from my home to my mechanics this morning. My car wouldn't start, and the last time it was running, the whole engine was shaking, making loud noise, and stalled.

Well guess what folks, I HAD NO GAS!!!!

Now before you start LOL, it's really not MY fualt.

To go back in time a little:

This started about 2 months ago. I fill my car with gas, pay, and then start the car, but hey, my fuel gauge on my digital cluster is still near Empty?? Strange, it's NEVER done that before. But after driving for a while, and having the engine parked, the gauge went back up to what I BELIEVED was correct. Turns out it wasn't...

So, my engine was STARVING for gas, and that's why all my LIVE Data via my AutoXray was messed-up. I could easily see that my ECM was commanding as much fuel to be added as soon as possible, but couldn't figure out why!!:)??

Anyways, to shorten things up here, my Fuel Level Sending Unit or whatever is NOT accurate at all. It was saying I had a quarter tank, when in reality, I had nothing! And vise versa, I fill the tank, and it still says a quarter tank!

So now I need your HELP! I have no idea what the problem is or could be? I don't even know where it is? What's it's actually called etc...

Any help or suggestions here???

I hope I provided everyone with a laugh!:)

One way to figure it out is to find out which wire is for the sending unit, cut it, :shock: and when it's an open circuit the gauge should show either all the way full or empty, and when you ground the wire it should show opposite. If that checks out, it's the sending unit in the tank. The float may have fallen off or filled with fuel, I've seen both happen. I would venture a guess and say it's your sending unit, but then again I don't have to lie under the car and test, so it's easy for me to guess. Glad you figured it out, same thing happened to my 91 GP, read 1/4 when it was empty, the rest of the gauge worked fine.