Ahhggggghh, is my transmission going??????

fierofanatic

:( Recently my transmission has been acting funny, I've been trying to admit that its old, but its starting to get scary.... first off, 1993 Grand Prix SE 3.1 v6, 4T60E. Ok, this has been going on for a while, but its been getting more serious as times progressed. The car has about 102,100 miles on it, I bought it with 97,000 + miles. I haven't had the transmission oil changed yet. The first problems I've been having, on cold start ups, and putting the car into gear, the transmission won't shift into gear, if I'm on pavement it'll move just a tiny little bit if I give it gas, but its not engaged, then it'll engage a few seconds later and take off. if I'm on gravel, it won't engage, and it takes 5 or so seconds before it shifts into reverse, or 1st. Now if the car is warm, it doesn't have that problem. Driving at speed, around 55 or so, then slowing down to 45 for a curve, then coming back to 55, at 51 mph, the car will start to violently shake in the front, unless I let of on the gas, and then hitting the gas again, no problems. It feels like its slipping, but I don't know. I have been speeding up sometimes, when the engine will speed up, but the car won't accelerate, and shifting takes 2 seconds. Should I start saving up for a transmission? I'm only 17, still owe $2500 on this car to my dad, and can't afford to do this. :roll:

trans fluid smell is more important then the color of it, so smell it, if it smells pungent, kinda of like the smell of gear lube (that ish stinks) means the fluid is burnt

but first thing is level and smell if not good...

second change it that may or may not fix your problems

good luck

Doing a filter change I have found is not as helpful as a full fluid exhange. Dropping the pan leaves apx 3 quarts thouthout the system (including just over a quart in the converter). best thing I find to do is going to a jiffy screw or a valvoline that does a full fluid exchange (hookup the tranny cooler lines taking the old fluid out and putting the new fluid in) which cleans out 99% of the fluid. Then u might wanna drop the pan (saving the fluid) and changing the filter. Then put the fluid back in.

-Jeff

It does have a burn smell to it, and the level is good, I wanted to see if it was just a fluke with it, and added an extra half quart of dexron III, but it didn't do anything. I have noticed searching these forums, that these transmissions have common problems with this stuff.

If it's burnt, change it. Have it flushed completely, like Jeff said. I've seen cars come into work that have NEVER had the fluid/filter changed with the same kind of mileage you've got :gone2far:

Well I just got back a little bit ago, running a test on my car. On the automotive forums, some poster mentioned about unplugging the TCC module on the transmission to see if its the module. Well unplugging it makes it even more sluggish, the car takes longer to accelerate, and it shudders between each gear change, under medium to heavier acceleration. Plugging it back in, doesn't shudder as much, but coming from 45 upto 55, at 51 the car starts shuddering, and at around 60 it'll shudder for a few seconds, and feels like some power loss. Also under heavier acceleration from stop, it'll shudder between gear shifts. :evil:

No, I don't believe the speedo is messing up at all.

that kills my idea, I bought my cutty from a guy who told me it needed a new tranny, the car shifted life shit and the speedo was all over the place....I took it apart change the fluid/filter and found a "broken" connection on the speed sensor, I fixed it and the shifts beautifully now....

Went to Pennzoil today and got a full flush (no new filter though) got 99% of the old oil out, most of it was burned and the guy has no doubt that most of it was still factory. $75, the trans is acting better, but it still acts up some, but not as bad. They used ATF. It'll still slip, and hesitate under heavy acceleration, light doesn't. But it also seems like it doesn't have full power in Overdrive, but I think its because of the low highway gears.

after driving around for a while making sure u get into OD and drive 1/4 in revese, check the fluid. Hopefully it will be about a quart low then put a bottle of lucas into it. dont go over a quart over cauz u will blow seals.

-Jeff

yeah, mine was doing the same thing after i got it. i would put it in drive and it wouldnt engage, so i poured a whole bottle of Lucas Tranny Sealer bit by bit and it works fine ever since. the best thing ive poured into my car besides oil :lol: i would check the tranny fluid and filter, i have to do that same thing real soon.

If your tranny is serviced every 30k (LIKE IT SHOULD BE), a flush a great thing for it. If your car has been treated like most all w-body, you have the original tranny fluid in there. A flush exchange can e a bad thing for a tranny that has been beaten to hell because it can clean off the friction plates and such inside the tranny cauzing worse slipping. If the tranny is starting to slip, chances are the bands are getting week and changing the fluid could actually rejuvenate them. This is why I strongly suggest Lucas to help the valves open up correctly and soften up the bands and gaskets. Also, puttin in a secondry cooler can save ya tranny a lot of wear and tear. optimal fluid temp for ya tranny is 170 degrees, the hotter the fluid gets, the more it breaks down and that harder on ya parts it is.

-Jeff

ps, can ya tell i did this for a little while