Do W-bodys just have bad brakes or what?

SmokesGTP

Also don't underestimate the power of good pads!

Our 94 Cutlass convertible with semi-metallic pads brakes pretty good. MUCH, MUCH more stopping power than 88-93 with semi-metallic pads.

Probably due mainly to the much larger power brake booster.

HOWEVER, my '89 with "copper metallic" pads actually stops better than the 94! My '89 still has the puny brake booster!

I wonder what kind of stopping power I can get out of a 94 with copper metallics!

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend NOT using semi-metallic pads on an 88-93. It's just awful.

I have the bigger booster. It helped out a some made the brakes more consistant day by day, but as far as total pedal feel is concerned, its only a hair better. One thing I've noticed is while the '94+ rear rotors have more diameter, they aren't as wide as the other rotors. So I don't even know what to think about them, you might get better leverage but they might be prone to warping because they are so thin? I never had the rear rotors warp before...Just an observation. I'm all for using the bgger front rotors to get more leverage.

Guest Anonymous
Also the Stainless steel slider kit solves the caliper seizing problem. 2 years I havn't had to do a brake job on the rear and the pads are wearing evenly.

Where did you get the slides at? How much $$$$?

They Run about $60-$70. Some brake company called Carlson makes them. But I think most of the manufacturues sell them now. The boots are also redesigned. Those things work, I shoulv'ed had a problem in the 2 years and millions of miles I've went with them.

From what I remember, the pump to set cable should hook up to the one pump pbrake cables so it will fit right. I don't have it that way so I don't know for sure. I changed over the whole system because I didn't like the pump up pbrake. I now have a one pump brake pedal with the newer calipers and it fit great. The only hard part is gettin the bracket for the frame, but one could probably be made pretty easy if it wasn't available from a donor car. The cables are pretty cheap. I wish I had pictures but never got the car on the lift to get good ones. Even if the cables don't line up between the new cables and the pump to set cable, it shouldn't be that hard to lengthen or shorten the cables as needed.

I just wanted to ask one more question for someone. How much do you think were talking to take the car to the dealer to change the brake booster hose? Is it especially hard to fix or get to like everything else on this car? Thanks.

It's pretty easy to fix. The plenum side is the only side hard to get to, and that's because it's pointed downwards. Overall not that bad though.

I couldn't tell you what a dealer would charge. I'm sure it's a lot.