Removing scratches in PLASTIC?

gmrulz4u

Anyone have any Tips or Tricks for getting rid of surface scratches in clear plastic? Such as the plastic covers found on our digital dashes, or Electronic Climate Control unit.

Shawn has already given me good advice using a Dremel tool for buffing, but I want to fix them as cheaply as possible. Because the Dremel tool costs about $60(CDN), and a new ECC cost $230(CDN), so in comparing these two prices, I would rather just get a new one, unless I can fix the scratches in my ECC for only like 5-10 dollars.

I read a lot of stuff online, mostly having to do with reparing the plastic shield found on the bottom of all CD's and DVD's. A lot mentioned stuff like using toothpaste!! I don't know?

I figure I will have to "fill in" the scratches, and not just try to "blend" them....

So, any recommendations??

THANKS

I went to Crappy Tire and Home Depot and they're absolultely f_cking clueless!!!! They acted like there's no such thing as repairing scratches in ANYTHING!

wish i could remember the specific products. but i have been told that one of the wax companies makes a product for plastics and it is supposed to work great on all plastics be it on the outside of a car or the inside.

i am pretty sure it is meguiars but not 100% on that.

Monty

Harbor Freight has a generic rotary tool (like Dremel) on sale for $9.99 and it comes with a whole bunch of attachments including buffing attachments.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41695

I don't know the quality of it, but I buy stuff from Harbor Freight all the time because it's WAY cheap when on sale and their hand tools have lifetime warranty.

is this harbor freight the same one that has the $20 batt op impact gun?

Monty

Yep. :)

They have a much faster AC powered impact gun for $50 too.

The batt operated one is pretty slow, but I like it.