Deal of the Century...NOT!

DropTopOlds

I took a trip today to Bud Davis Cadillac of Memphis, TN. I had no real intentions of testdriving anything (except a Jaguar X-type at Bluff City British Cars)... The Cadillac salesman stops me and asks me if I had anything in mind. I asked if they had any CTSs in stock besides the one out front. The salesman (a very nice older man) said they had quite a few more in another section of the lot. I saw a Copper Sunburst CTS (you know, that orange color) as well as a bunch of Diamond White CTSs...

Anyway, just to get an estimate of what my prices might be if I were to buy, I had my car appraised (at the salesman's suggestion). After about 15 minutes of appraising, the appraisal guy called the salesman out the give him the final trade-in figure.... a whopping $1000. That's ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Can you believe that shït?! Hell, the dealership that I bought the Cutty at gave me $2000 for a Cutlass Ciera S with a ton of missing clearcoat, a driver's seat that neither moved forward or backward OR reclined, and 200,000 miles. My how times change.

At any rate, the CTS is a blast to drive. I drove the 5 speed auto with Luxury package and heated seats. I can't imagine what the 5 speed is like!

Not surprised with what they quoted you, trade-in's are about the worst way you can get rid of a car that's still running. As for the Ciera, who in the world gave you 2k for that with 200k on it? I've got a bunch of cars I wouldn't mind unloading on that seller :)

The w-bodies are not exactly world class in resale value so unless the car is in mint condition I wouldn't expect much for it. You can almost always get a better value if you sell it yourself though.

Speaking of test drives, two days ago: mint 94 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo AWD, 80k miles... oh myyyy, i'm in love.. Time for a new project and a big hole in my bank account.. :)

When i bought my CS Convertible it was a 94 Cutlas Supreme white with 3.4 Dohc, fully loaded no scrather no nothing Burgundy interior and 58k miles i paid 9,995k and after year and a half i had to return it to same dealer because of the convertible top problem (had been fixed 4 times in year). I traded it in for a 2002 Brand new Ford Mustang GT and dealer gave me 8k for it so i can say that i didnt loose anything on it. But i will never get rid of my 88 white Cutlas Supreme that has 192k miles and still runs strong. So i think i got a good deal on a trade in.

PS i love to get the new CTS

I wouldn't trade a Cutlass convertible for a CTS anyway.

In my eyes, the CTS is one ugly mutha. :puke:

So is that new Infiniti G35 that looks almost just like it from the front. :puke: :puke:

i think that new 350z is ugly same with Lexus IS300.

And about trading my convertible i had no choice i had to do it becaue when my warranty would end i would have to fix it by myself and that would be a lot of money. but one day i will get another convertible CS

I don't care for the 350Z either, but then I don't care for sports cars. I prefer luxury cars with a sporty flair. If I WERE into sports cars, I still wouldn't like the 350Z. Its appearance to me is way less appealing than say, an F-body for example.

That G35 doesn't look like a sports car to me, you sure it's the same as the 350Z? The body style, roofline, and ass end don't appear to even share the same shape. The G35 is just plain fugly. I don't care that much about fast, or I would be more into sports cars. :lol: If I cared that much about speed, I don't think I would have owned my 130HP Cutlass Supreme for over 8-years! :wink: If Nissan offered me a trade - my Cutlass Supreme for 5 350Z's and 20 G35's under the condition that I not be allowed to sell any of them... I'd tell them to go screw themselves!

oh well i guess thats peoples prefs. i happen to like regular ol cars with a sporty flair too. For instance the taurus SHO. i really like that car both the very old, new and i dont know if they make an SHO for the really new design, havent looked into it. my FAVORITE CAR IN THE WORLD is a BMW M5...i'd take it over a Z06. a Z06 will beat it off the line and has better handling (of course) but M5's run low 13s...wonder what a Z06 does id be interested to know.

Btw it is the same car, same engine and platform, slighlty different styled body but if you put 2 of them next to each other youll kinda know what im talking about. Kinda like how a TT and bug are based on the same platform, Jetta/A4 etc

2001 Corvette Z06 was doing 0-60 in 4.6 sec and 1/4 mile in 12.6.

2002 Corvette Z06 is doing 0-60 in 3.8 sec and 1.4 mile in 12.1

Got it from Road and Track.

If i was going to get a anothing sports car over my GT i would take Vette, i would take a Vette over any Mustang, but couldnt afford another Vette so i got a GT.

what the fuck, stupid corvette beating my BMW. Well anyway i bet an M5 would loose a Z06 from say 110MPH and up...that car is all about top end. For some reason its 0-60 is a meager 5 sec. which in my opinion is terrible for an engine like that. M5~$70k Z06~80k. for ten grand less and a slight reduction in power you get a whole lot more car though

I'd have to agree with you on that one... for my taste I'd prefer an M5 over a Corvette since I'm not a sports car type of guy, but $70k??? Ouch!

If anything happened to my Cutlass Supreme, I'd probably get a 91-92 Caprice and shave it, smooth it, bag it, drop in a built-up LS1, and roll on 20's.

2001 M5 Specs

Valvetrain DOHC 4 Valves / Cyl with Double VANOS

Displacement 4941 cc / 301.5 cu in

Power 293.8 kw / 394.0 bhp @ 6600 rpm

Torque 498.94 nm / 368.0 ft lbs @ 3800 rpm

Top Speed 249.4 kph / 155.0 mph

0 - 60 mph 4.8 seconds

EPA City/Hwy 13 / 21 mpg

2002 Corvette Specs

Configuration LS6 V8

Valvetrain OHV 2 Valves / Cyl

Displacement 5665 cc / 345.7 cu in

Power 302.0 kw / 405.0 bhp @ 6000 rpm

Torque 542.33 nm / 400.0 ft lbs @ 4800 rpm

0 - 60 mph 3.9 seconds

EPA City/Hwy 19 / 28 mpg

I am not trying to argue that BMW is a bad car but i just think that they are overrated, and there are other cars that are better and faster. But hold on those are two different kinds of a car, one more like a sport sedan and other is a real sports car. Me and my friend always argue bewetten a BMW and american cars. I got used to it. And if corvette would cost 70k like M5 it would probably be even more advanced and faster, but it still 50s k so its like compering a two different things.

If there's one thing GM can definitely build, it's engines.

Compare the HP & torque between that LS6 and the BMW engine.

Then you might think, "well, the LS6 has higher displacement".

Then move your finger over to the fuel economy and see which engine is more thirsty.

Gotta love GM!

I got 80k for a z06 from about 4 other posts in some other section on this board. i was too lazy to go look up the exact figure and i thought to myself that sounded about right. I knew the BMW figure by heart though. when i saw that 80k number i thought to myself that HAS to be less than that, but maybe im wrong. guess i wasnt. another thing i wonder is, if a z06 is only around 54k and a regular corvette is what, 40-45k why doesnt evenone just spend the little extra to get a superior car?

M is a higher performance of a regular BMW. Like a Z06 and regular Corvetter and AMG for Mercedes. Soon Cadillac is coming up with a V version for a CST and soon coming XLR, they will have a 350 engine and ground effects. So M series is just extra HP and extra performance.

My roommate has a 2002 M5, my friend has a 540i six speed (1999) I hate the M5, it is overrated, ugly, and a ripoff. Id take a Z06 over it. I have driven both of those cars and the M5 is NOt NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT worth the extra money over the 540i six speed. The powerbands feel identical, and so does the handle, and they are equally luxurious. I even think the 540i looks better. The M5 is just ever so slightly faster, nothing you feel because the powerbands are so similar. If you dream about an M5 go drive one and then a 540i six speed back to back. Youll save your 20k (or whatever the difference is) and use it for something else. Of course why you would waste the original $$ on a BMW is beyond me anyways. BMW=Big Money Waste. And no I don't say any of this because I'm jealous. I really dont like them.

-Tom

thats exactly why i was wondering. i was wondering besides the rims and sideskirts what you get thats extra and i guess its nothing. so if i ever did get enough money for an M5 i'd just buy the 540i. At least they made the M3 significantly faster than any 3 series