Jscott Posted September 25 Report Posted September 25 Hello friends. Another one for you. My 1990 cutlass 3.1. Has a rough idle when it warms up. Replaced a lot of items and even a charcoal canister. Thinking the evap is bad. Which it was anyway. But the car starts acting up when it’s in gear and idling with foot on brake. Which I also noticed as my foot is on brake the engine kinda surges and I see my volt gage dip up and down a little. But enough to make the engine not perform as it should. I have to mention that I have a power master 3 brake system. Not a fan. Any ideas would be appreciated. Quote
briskshovel88 Posted October 2 Report Posted October 2 Jscott said: Hello friends. Another one for you. My 1990 cutlass 3.1. Has a rough idle when it warms up. Replaced a lot of items and even a charcoal canister. Thinking the evap is bad. Which it was anyway. But the car starts acting up when it’s in gear and idling with foot on brake. Which I also noticed as my foot is on brake the engine kinda surges and I see my volt gage dip up and down a little. But enough to make the engine not perform as it should. I have to mention that I have a power master 3 brake system. Not a fan. Any ideas would be appreciated. That Powermaster can load the electrical system pretty hard when it cycles, and the voltage dip could be dragging the idle down with it. A weak ground or tired alternator would make that whole combo a lot more noticeable. Quote
Jscott Posted 3 hours ago Author Report Posted 3 hours ago Thank you for your advice!! I really appreciate it. Quote
Amanita Posted 1 hour ago Report Posted 1 hour ago On 9/24/2026 at 9:16 PM, Jscott said: Hello friends. Another one for you. My 1990 cutlass 3.1. Has a rough idle when it warms up. Replaced a lot of items and even a charcoal canister. Thinking the evap is bad. Which it was anyway. But the car starts acting up when it’s in gear and idling with foot on brake. Which I also noticed as my foot is on brake the engine kinda surges and I see my volt gage dip up and down a little. But enough to make the engine not perform as it should. I have to mention that I have a power master 3 brake system. Not a fan. Any ideas would be appreciated. If you turn the headlights on and apply the brake do you notice any of the needles wiggle a little bit? I had that happen to me while driving and it turned out to be the alternator going bad, had to swap both that and the battery. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.