Stupid power antenna..

LukeZ34

Like most W-Bodies with power antenna's.. mine don't work anymore (doesn't go down, motor just runs). I read the instructions on this site about how to fix em.. but I'm still a little unclear on what to do. Anyone have any advice? I want to keep the power antenna, as for some reason, I've always thought they were pretty cool, lol.

Thanks!

First thing you need to do is buy the mast kit. It comes with a special tool to remove the trim ring from the antenna. Then you can pull the antenna mast out if it's completely broken. Or if not, turn on the stereo and it should feed the cable out. You can disassemble the antenna unit if you want to, in order to remove any broken bits of cable, but I've heard there's enough room inside that you don't really have to. Then feed the cable of the new antenna into the antenna motor as far down as it will go. Then turn off the radio and it should suck it in. You'll have to guide it so that the outer sheath of the antenna goes into the hole as the motor is pulling it in. It'd probably be easier if you have a partner turning the stereo on and off for you. Anyway, it probably won't go all the way down, but as long as you get that sheath inside you can slip the trim ring over the top of the antenna and tighten it down. Then turn the stereo on and off a couple times and the antenna should go all the way up and all the way down like it's supposed to.

It was $18 awhile ago, and $25 more recently. No telling how much it is now!

The black mast and chrome mast aren't interchangeable unless you change the antenna tube or entire power antenna assembly. The chrome one is a lot more durable, but I switched to the black because I just like it better.

Ok.. thanks Shawn.

I think I'll put the power antenna on a switch. I rarely ever listen to the radio, and everytime I eject a cd, the antenna goes down, and then when you put a new one in it goes back up.. so I kinda figured a switch would reduce some unneeded wear and tear on the motor.