ABS and BRAKE light are on

Nick727

The ABS and Brake light are on on my dash. They were on from the moment I got the car and put a new battery in it. I just did the rear brakes and did bleed the system. (Driver side outer pad was metal to metal.) The car stops fine with no weird noises (all though spongy, prob could use a new booster.) I did notice the 3rd brake light is out; will this cause those lights to come on? I have a scan tool obd2 I can get the adapter kit for it for $100 but if it's just the 3rd brake light I would rather spend the couple bucks there being that I just had to pay for a funeral and money is tight. Any other tips besides just unplugging the dash lights(that's not a fix.) Thanks in advance.  Also This is a 93 vert with the 3.4L DOHC

Edited by Nick727

You will probably need to scan the car to figure out what is going on. I would check your ground wires and connections around the ABS module. Look for corrosion and clean as needed. 

The high mounted brake light won't cause the cluster warning lights to come on.

For the park brake light check the parking brake cables tension to ensure that the park brake system when released has enough tension on the cables to disengage the warning light contact at the pedal assembly.

As instructed you should get a scanner on the system, most likely (but not definitely) one or more of the wheel sensors has a compromised circuit issue.

Check the obvious things, is the brake fluid level full? is the switch used to measure it working?

Same goes for the parking brake pedal, try lifting on that to see if that causes the BRAKE light to go out

High mount won't cause any of that on these cars.

As for the ABS, yeah you need an appropriate scantool to read those codes.

I use both a Tech1 or Tech2 to pull those codes, if you're anywhere near Pittsburgh I could pull them for you.

Likely you have a couple separate issues, but on a 93' the ABS light is a non critical light, you just won't have any anti-lock is all.

Now that I think about it some more I SWEAR I had this same issue many years ago. 

As dumb as it sounds try bleeding the brakes, start with the couple bleeders on the ABS/Master and then go to all 4 wheels.

So this is what I found and did to get my lights off. I was already 99% sure the 3rd brake light would not cause the dash lights to be on, which was true it was not the problem. So knowing the parking brake was working correctly and not causing the red brake light to come on I then removed the ABS fuse in the glove box area. This caused the red brake light to turn off after the car was started but it still turns on as it should during the start up cycle. But the ABS light was still on. I then removed the fuse under the hood for it as well as the discovered bad relay. I then took it out to run some errands and enjoy the sunshine. After a few stops the ABS light went out and I got a much better brake pedal. I was tempted to get a new relay but why bother with it past the point that I'm at now. It stops better then it did and the lights are now off for the first time since I've owned it. I'm guessing it was prob just a bad relay to begin with. Just wanted to give everyone a update. oh my 3rd brake light took 3 891 bulbs. (i went with the leds replacements)