1995 Cutlass Vert - Assistance Identifying and locating part

JGP

Hi, 

I have a 95 Cutlass Supreme (red on white) with the 3.4L and only 13,000 original miles (it's a Texas car). The drivers side window has a plastic part that is attached to it - it's almost like a guide for the window to run up and down the pillar. I can't seem to identify what you call it - nor, where I'd even look for one. Unfortunately, this part has a crack down it and I don't know how long it will last before it breaks off.

Any help would be appreciated!

JG from Canada.

Hello and welcome.

I think you might be referring to either the window guide...or channel.  This is the guide.  Part # of 10188185.  This part is positioned on the window that kinda sits right near the outside mirror area when the glass is all the way up.

GM 10188185 Guide, Front Side Door Window Front

This is the channel.  Part # of 10129641.  This one is positioned down in the door cavity where it's normally out of sight, more of a mechanical piece.  I think it holds the glass upright in place as it travels up and down when the regulator is operating.  It keeps the glass from tilting out of position inside the door when it's traveling up and down as well.

GM 10129641 Channel Assembly, Front Side Door Window Front

These both are for the driver's side door.  Do you know which one you need or are referring too?

Edited by jiggity76

Pics? Though Ive got a feeling I know the part being referred too. IIRC its called run channel if its the slotted piece the glass makes contact with on the sides of the "window regulator". It could "possibly" be some universal stuff that solidified over time that just looks like plastic.

Hey is this at the front A pillar side of the glass near the mirrors or against the rear part of the door glass closer to the handle? I`m thinking of 2 different parts now.

34 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

Pics? Though Ive got a feeling I know the part being referred too. IIRC its called run channel if its the slotted piece the glass makes contact with on the sides of the "window regulator". It could "possibly" be some universal stuff that solidified over time that just looks like plastic.

Hey is this at the front A pillar side of the glass near the mirrors or against the rear part of the door glass closer to the handle? I`m thinking of 2 different parts now.

I think the guide is the piece that's on the corner of the glass next to the outside mirror when the glass is up.  I think the channel is the metal piece that's mounted in the cavity of the door that keeps the glass from tilting forwards or backwards as it travels up and down on the regulator.  I'm not sure which piece he's needing or referring too.

Yup, I might be thinking of a different car TBH after seeing that part.

Could he be referring to the old regulator tape pressed inside that piece? I`ll look on mine this weekend, I`m curious now. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So sorry, here I am asking for help and I go off the radar.

Here is the pic...it looks like it's attached to the glass actually. I've attached also a pic of the car - such as shame as everything is perfect on it, 13,000 original miles.

Love to get this fixed. Sorry the pic looks so huge.

20230527_154122.jpg

20240502_155608.jpg

Edited by JGP
  • Like 2

Very beautiful car that's for sure!  Unfortunately, that part isn't a separate part from the door glass.  In other words, that rubber seal or gasket came attached to the door glass and was installed on the assembly line from GM's glass supplier.  Whoever supplied the glass for our cars, that was included at their manufacturing facility.  GM just gives a part # for the entire door glass and not just for that seal.

I'm guessing you'll have to find a door glass with a good seal already attached, or somehow figure out how it's attached to the glass, and swap it over to your vert.  It might be better to talk with a glass supply/repair shop or just swap out the entire glass with another one that has a good seal. 

GM's part # for the entire door glass is 10188181.  That number isn't showing that any are available NOS anymore.  Again, your only options are glass shops or a good used glass with that seal from a junkyard or parts vehicle.

If you're interested, I might know a guy who has a stash of parts convertibles and he will more than likely have a good door glass with that seal.

By the way, for 1995, only 338 cars were made in Bright Red, White interior, and White top.

Edited by jiggity76

Can you see any small white print anywhere on the glass? Mines covered and its raining otherwise I`d check. Carlite will print part numbers on their glass and thats usually the factory brand used. 

Hopefully thats what the convertibles conversions used too...

Edited by rich_e777

I will take a peek if I can see any print on the glass...

I'd be curious if it was identical to the coupe as I'd probably have more luck finding a hardtop with a good glass than a convertible.

Jiggity76, I'd be interested if your friend has anything - then I'd have to figure out the best way to retrieve it...Afterall, Iowa is a long way from Ontario Canada, lol.

I may attempt a short term fix - perhaps colored epoxy injected into the crack...wonder if it's been tried.

Take a peek at this picture, what is part #9? Almost would make you think it's this part that is attached to the glass - no?

5bed3eb0161f2eab7cfc2c7c4052e77d.png.2e68b35707d8c50e48d37ce91f5be864.png

# 9 is the handle, that part will work on either a hardtop or convertible. I`m into mine now and will get into the manuals as well.

Looking at my car I see no difference in the print on either side and I seem to recall an old thread where these numbers where exhaustively searched with no luck.

Door Glass:

Soft-Ray PPG Saftey Flow-Lite

27                                      4

AS-2 DOT 18 M504

1                 2                     4

PPG has flexible coatings and this part couldve been a custom run through an application process during the time the convertibles were being built. Not unlike how a company might send a few hundred parts to be chrome plated. This looks like it falls in line with the on going research into replacement rubber seals specific to the Cutlass Supreme convertibles.

42778369-1992-1995-Cutlass-Parts-Diagram

#7 looks a little closer but still might not be it. 

RH#10128048

LH#10128049

Another FSM pic

20240504-113927.jpg

Here's a pic from my book.  Mind you, it's from a coupe but we should all know that convertibles started life out as coupes.

Number 15 in the pic.

20240504_220141.jpg

On 5/3/2024 at 7:29 AM, JGP said:

I will take a peek if I can see any print on the glass...

I'd be curious if it was identical to the coupe as I'd probably have more luck finding a hardtop with a good glass than a convertible.

Jiggity76, I'd be interested if your friend has anything - then I'd have to figure out the best way to retrieve it...Afterall, Iowa is a long way from Ontario Canada, lol.

I may attempt a short term fix - perhaps colored epoxy injected into the crack...wonder if it's been tried.

Alright, I'll get ahold of him and see if we can get somewhere.