3.4 DOHC intake swap?

Raffaelli

1994 Lumina Z34. I have the upper and lower intake off, and remember reading the later year manifolds made more power. Worth the effort? There used to be a write up on another website, but the page is broken.

Insights?

F3D1ABE1-BF8E-4588-B70C-2151035C5BB6.jpeg

I remember hearing it was worth it and wanting to do it back in the day on my cutlass but it was a pain finding everything at the yards. To put it into perspective I sold the cutlass 15 years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psych0matt said:

I remember hearing it was worth it and wanting to do it back in the day on my cutlass but it was a pain finding everything at the yards. To put it into perspective I sold the cutlass 15 years ago.

I tried to do this as well probably back in 2010 or so. I couldn't find the parts I needed. So I just replaced the gaskets and moved on. I'd imagine finding the parts today would be very difficult. 

• Like 2

Each of the intake manifolds design is unique to the upper plenum assembly.

If one wants to swap the intake manifold to or from the earlier design then one must also swap the upper plenum assembly.

• Like 3

Supposedly you can gain a bit of power on the top end due to the intake being better designed.

The downside is its a major pain in the ass to pull off properly, and even then it doesn't really fit the earlier engines well. not worth the trouble in my opinion.

• Like 2