Do 1st gen w-bodies have strut tower rot issues?

GranPrix

Go to solution Solved by 94 olds vert,

I know that the 2nd gen w bodies have rot issues on the rear strut towers, my 1st gen w-body grandprix has the monoleaf rear suspension, and I was wondering if the 1st gen cars have the same issue? I know the 1st gens have trailing arm mount rust issue as my grand prix is starting to rot out there but its still solid. I would imagine if the 1st gen strut towers rotted out it wouldnt be too big of a deal as the car is suspended by the leaf spring... I just havent seen any 1st gen w bodies rot out there so I was wondering if anyone has seen that.

• Solution

Eventually, they will rust out. It's not a common spot. Typically 1st gens are going to have TA mount rust, and some sheet metal rust by the rear wheels. 

13 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

I have yet to see the strut towers rot out in the 1st gens.  The TA mount area, most definitely.

Up here, I've seen it a few times, but it's not that bad on 1st gens. 2nd gens the rear strut towers rot out really bad up here. 

• 4 weeks later...

trailing arm mount

right in front of the rear wheels, thats a problem area on these cars