swap grand prix coupe tail lights onto sedan

GranPrix

Go to solution Solved by jiggity76,

I'm sure everyone here has seen the fugly grand prix sedan tail light design from the 90s where the amber and red are swapped. I know that the coupe tail lights would fit in the sedan, but is it possible to rearrange where the bulbs go in and convert it to where the brake/running lights are on the checkered part, and the turn signals/reverse lights are on the bottom? 

and the real question is, what would I do with the running lights in the middle of the car right below the trunk lid, would I have to swap the coupe rear bumper over to fill in that gap? Or could I just swap in that section of the bumper. (Does it detach?) I would imagine the light bar would look funky with the coupe tail lights installed. If anyone has done this before let me know what you did.

3 minutes ago, GranPrix said:

I'm sure everyone here has seen the fugly grand prix sedan tail light design from the 90s where the amber and red are swapped. I know that the coupe tail lights would fit in the sedan, but is it possible to rearrange where the bulbs go in and convert it to where the brake/running lights are on the checkered part, and the turn signals/reverse lights are on the bottom? 

and the real question is, what would I do with the running lights in the middle of the car right below the trunk lid, would I have to swap the coupe rear bumper over to fill in that gap? Or could I just swap in that section of the bumper. (Does it detach?) I would imagine the light bar would look funky with the coupe tail lights installed. If anyone has done this before let me know what you did.

I own one of those fugly tail light designs as I own a 93 STE sedan.  

The middle section or light bar as they're called that goes between the tail lights and under the trunk lid, there is some structural things to think about.  Not sure if it would work...if you're wanting to add a light bar to a non factory light bar car such as a coupe.  There are holes in the actual sheet metal so that bulb replacement can happen without pulling the light bar itself.

1969327452_20200608_0945461.jpg.e7deb0668249bea241443b4c0cddeb52.jpg

So the only way to get rid of that light bar on the bottom is to swap on a coupe bumper? Also I'm not trying to add a light bar to anything, im trying to make the rear end of my '95 SE sedan look just like a coupe from the same year.

• Solution

Gotcha.  Yes, you'll need to swap over a coupe bumper and tail lights from a coupe to your sedan.

The big question is how to cover the holes in the body where the light bar resides.  Also, the coupes and sedans use a different filler panel, not sure how all that is put together.  This filler panel (under the trunk lid) is not part of the bumper cover and it looks like a seperate piece.

Again, making sure that water won't get into the trunk thru the bulb replacement holes will also be a challenge once your light bar is removed.

Edited by jiggity76

8 hours ago, GranPrix said:

So the only way to get rid of that light bar on the bottom is to swap on a coupe bumper? Also I'm not trying to add a light bar to anything, im trying to make the rear end of my '95 SE sedan look just like a coupe from the same year.

You might want to rethink that move, the 2 bumper covers are not formed from the same mold.

The coupe rear cover has aggressive horizontal ribs molded into the shape whereas the sedan bumper covers are far more subtle.

If you did mount the coupe bumper cover to the sedan (if it's even possible) then that rear cover won't match the rest of the car's side moldings.

The bumper cover doesn't hide the filler panel, the filler panel is a separate body piece.

Edited by 55trucker