COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR DISCONTINUED FOR 2.8L V-6 & 3.1L W-body cars

89-W-Body-Regal

I am looking for a Coolant Level sensor that mounts onto the radiator on the top left side of the radiator. I was able to find one NOS GM part made by AC DELCO at a Chevy Dealership last year. I replaced it a couple months ago and the low coolant light is still on. I was hoping the sensor would shut off the light like it should when the coolant is not low. The reason why I replaced it in the first place was because the low coolant light kept going on and off. It must have had a short circuit in it. I replaced the sensor in 2020 when the low coolant light was on then and the light never came back on. The light came back last year and I thought maybe it was the sensor again like before because the coolant is staying full but the light is still on saying coolant is low. After I replaced it the light never went out and the coolant is full. GM has discontinued this part number by GM 14094922. It was suspended to part number 8859353. I was going to purchase one of the remaining ones off ebay. But none of the sellers will offer free returns if the sensor is defective and has to be returned. So I was wondering if anything aftermarket that is reliable has the sensor available so I can get warranty. Keep in mind those parts on ebay are nos. They can't replace it if the part is defective out of the box because they aren't available to get an replacement.

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal
  • Like 1

Low coolant light was lit up on my '92 for a couple of years.  Then it went out. 

I wouldn't guarantee that it's the sender at fault.  Could just as easily be the wire harness with bare wire, or a fault in the instrument cluster.

I would absolutely verify the harness before I crammed-in another sensor, whether from GM or an aftermarket sensor from a local parts store.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 2:32 PM, Schurkey said:

Low coolant light was lit up on my '92 for a couple of years.  Then it went out. 

I wouldn't guarantee that it's the sender at fault.  Could just as easily be the wire harness with bare wire, or a fault in the instrument cluster.

I would absolutely verify the harness before I crammed-in another sensor, whether from GM or an aftermarket sensor from a local parts store.

Ok, I checked the sensor a week ago and the wiring. The sensor I got was back in July, last year. I replaced it because I was putting a new radiator in and wanted to save time. I also got a new engine installed too so I wanted to replace some sensors to put on the new motor. I needed a new ECM as well because water got into it. The shop installed everything with the new engine. The low coolant light was on. They thought maybe it was the ecm. But the ecm had no codes and wasn’t causing any drivability concerns. So they said it could just be a bad wire like you said.

The shop knows I know my car better than anyone inside out because I provided the parts and found the motor myself. I checked the connector and wiring along the sensor. All clean and connector was tight and clean. I thought for the hell of it, the shop gived me my old coolant level sensor back. I put that back on and what do you know the low coolant light went out. So it had to be that nos sensor the dealer sold me. No wonder they charged me so cheap for it. These sensors nos GM are expensive. It was probably a bad sensor they had sitting on the shelf and wanted to get rid of it. I am going to have to drive the Buick and monitor it to make sure the light don’t come back on. I will let you know if it comes back on or not. I am gonna take her for a long drive. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem for the longest time in my ‘92 3.1L. The low coolant light would stay on, even when the level was fine. I finally disconnected the sensor 15 years ago and haven’t worried about it since. I keep an eye on the overflow tank to make sure I’m okay. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 2:23 PM, cutlassman said:

I had the same problem for the longest time in my ‘92 3.1L. The low coolant light would stay on, even when the level was fine. I finally disconnected the sensor 15 years ago and haven’t worried about it since. I keep an eye on the overflow tank to make sure I’m okay. 

Yeah I hate when lights are on. The light never came back yet, touch wood. But I am having another problem right now. The coolant tank keeps getting a little low when it's cold out. So I have to keep topping it off. It's not leaking or entering into the oil. When I drive it, it stays full. So I can't understand why i gotta keep topping it off at cold engine when it sits for a couple days. We still are having cool days so when it's cool out it drops a little bit and I have to top it off. I always check my coolant level before I drive it.

I am going to have to invest in a coolant pressure tester. Maybe the hose at the tank is bad or not sealing..Both radiator hoses and radiator was replaced even radiator cap. I had all the coolant parts replaced when the engine was replaced. But the shop didn't replace the one hose i told them about I could not find myself. It's an 90 degree long hose that connects to the heater pipe at the firewall and the throttle body pipe. It can either be that hose or the tank hose. It's always low the coolant level at cool so that tells me a hose is not sealing tightly enough but there are not any leaks. I hope the coolant pressure test determines. I hate having to keep topping it off. I know the engine is fine and the coolant stays full when I drive it at hot. The level is only low at when cool outside when it's been sitting a couple of days.