Transmission Identification

pwmin

I'm trying to figure out what transmission i have and what it can be used for.  The Hydra-Matic tag is gone and the only things visible on the other tag don't say a lot.  It came with the Monte, so I'm assuming it's from a 97 based on the PCM, but I'm waiting to hear back from Tim.  I'm hoping to be able to use it to fix up another car since I'm going to be using the 284 to manual swap it. I'll attach some pictures and links.

https://www.fastfieros.com/tech/4t65e_transmission_general.htm

http://www.gmtuners.com/pda/4T65E-ID.htm

PXL_20231214_175111023.jpg

PXL_20230821_200001230.jpg

PXL_20230821_200049822.jpg

PXL_20230821_200052451.jpg

PXL_20231214_175217801.jpg

Thanks, did not see the reply.  It is supposed to have came out of a 1997 SSEi.  From what I'm reading, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it will work on cars from 1997 until they changed the valve body sometime in late 2000.  Since it's from an H-body, it has extra mounting provisions, but can still be used in a W-body.  Too bad the tag is missing.

39 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

If the trans was behind a forced induction engine the trans would be the HD model.

Your correct, the valve body was redesigned with the 2002 model year ending.

Yeah, it's supposed to be an HD trans.  Is there a way to tell without the tag or do you need to pull the pan and look at the valve body?  I know this one will have the older design, just wondering how to tell in general.

Edited by pwmin

The only way I know how to identify the later from the older valve body is by the solenoid pressure switch cover.

Pull the trans rear cover, older makes use of a plate cover that is almost twice the size of the newer design.