'95 'vert needs new shoes

Human

Go to solution Solved by Human,

I haven't driven my '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible in a few weeks, but I realized I had some discount fuel points expiring today, so I decided to take it and gas it up. When I went in to the carport, the front tires looked low, so I aired them up and realized they're dry-rotted all to hell, so I guess it's time to shop for some new rubber for that old car. It's kind of annoying, because they have great tread; they're just ten years old, according to the '1013' date code.

What's on there now is a set of El Dorado Golden Fury all season radials, a brand I know nothing about. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, because I don't drive the car hard, or often. I put less than 1,000 miles on it between annual state inspections. I usually get my tires from Costco, as they usually offer good deals on premium tires, but as little as I drive the car, I can't see putting Michelins or Bridgestones on it. Other possibilities I'm seeing are Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring ($119.99 at Sam's Club) or Falken Pro G5 Touring ($126 at Discount Tire). There might be something better elsewhere. Suggestions?

I ended up finding a super good deal on some Pirelli P4 Plus Persist tires at Sam's Club. I had been seriously considering a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw touring radials, but the Pirellis actually came in a little cheaper after the $100 discount for a set of four. They'Il be in sometime next week. I have a feeling they're gross overkill for my car, but I'll enjoy the ride nonetheless.

Ive had good luck with Falkens over the years so I`ll stick with them until the TGP needs some. I do wish they had a raised white letter option for something that would fit on these cars though, a little detail i like from the old cars.I also found a place on ebay that does custom banners and had them make a long "Falken Tires" one so I could hang it in the garage. Not bad for $20.

You do know to go off the recommended PSI on the door jam sticker and not the max psi printed on the tire right? Should be about 30-35 psi.

Edited by rich_e777

6 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Ive had good luck with Falkens over the years so I`ll stick with them until the TGP needs some. I do wish they had a raised white letter option for something that would fit on these cars though, a little detail i like from the old cars.I also found a place on ebay that does custom banners and had them make a long "Falken Tires" one so I could hang it in the garage. Not bad for $20.

You do know to go off the recommended PSI on the door jam sticker and not the max psi printed on the tire right? Should be about 30-35 psi.

Yes, I inflated the front tires, which were down to about 20 psi, up to about 32 psi. That's when the dry rot cracks became very apparent, including one on the left front tire that runs the entire circumference of the rim. Very scary. I don't intend to drive that car again until the new tires come in and I can take it to get them installed. The sooner those tires are off the car, the better.

• Solution

What a difference a set of tires makes. The convertible now has its new Pirellis, and it both rides smoother and handles better to  degree than I was not expecting. Cracks in the pavement used to be jarring, now I don't really even feel them. The craziest part was when I got on the highway to go home, I accelerated off the entrance ramp to get up to speed, and the next thing I knew, I was doing almost 80 mph!!! In the little more than five years I've had that car, I have never had it going that fast. It was previously pretty squirrely once I got it up close to 70. I look forward to having a little time on a warm, sunny day to more thoroughly put those tires through their paces. My initial impression, though it those tires were a great value for what little I paid.