Gauge pod for an 03 gp?

rcLord510

Does anyone know why the 03 Grand Prix doesn’t work with 97-02 gauge pods? I bought a 03 gtp sedan and ironically it’s missing the drivers side a pillar, which is fine. I was I gonna put a 3 gauge pod in, but I can’t find the original trim piece, and all the gauge pods I’ve found go overtop the stock one, does anyone know if you can mod like a zzp one to work in an 03?

15 minutes ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

Like I said, that one goes over, I need a complete replacement, I’ve looked far and wide and can’t find one, so I’m wondering if I can mod a 97-02 one to work

I can't recall what makes the 2003 A pillar different. GM has it listed as different part numbers. On the diagrams both parts look identical. Mounting could be different I'm not sure. On the 2003 description of the part GM calls it a decorative panel mounted to the A pillar. 

2003:

image.png.7713d72568fe062e31970a85f32eae3b.pngimage.png.4c5c4a800051444ebf13724aec891b8e.png

2000:

image.png.a9516bb5d92b3c1877fac2f22c362dee.png

image.png.0df25ab71e84db0ca6998c8c478eafb0.png

Source links:

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=403291&ukey_make=1030&ukey_model=14643&modelYear=2003&ukey_category=19402&ukey_driveLine=11479&ukey_trimLevel=25592

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=403094&ukey_make=1030&ukey_model=14643&modelYear=2000&ukey_category=19402&ukey_driveLine=11479&ukey_trimLevel=25592

I think I figured it out. Top picture is a from a 2003, bottom picture is from 2000. The A pillar has a lot more curve to it and is missing the rubber seal around the edges. I'm wondering if GM changed something internally in the A pillar to improve crash test ratings for 2003. 

image.png

grand prix 3.jpg

1 hour ago, 94 olds vert said:

I think I figured it out. Top picture is a from a 2003, bottom picture is from 2000. The A pillar has a lot more curve to it and is missing the rubber seal around the edges. I'm wondering if GM changed something internally in the A pillar to improve crash test ratings for 2003. 

image.png

grand prix 3.jpg

I wonder if i could still use an 97-02 one, I don’t mind a gap, and it’s better than having no a pillar at all, I mean, as long as the mounting is the same, why not…

1 minute ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

I wonder if i could still use an 97-02 one, I don’t mind a gap, and it’s better than having no a pillar at all, I mean, as long as the mounting is the same, why not…

I'd be interested in knowing if a 97 to 02 A pillar would fit with some modification or not. 

The dash, door, door speaker, and other trim all looks the same. 

It is definitely two different parts. Not sure what is different internally with the 2003. 

2 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

I'd be interested in knowing if a 97 to 02 A pillar would fit with some modification or not. 

The dash, door, door speaker, and other trim all looks the same. 

It is definitely two different parts. Not sure what is different internally with the 2003. 

me too, thinking about taking the plunge and just buying it

12 minutes ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

me too, thinking about taking the plunge and just buying it

There is a good chance GM changed nothing and just made a cheaper A pillar. The lack of the rubber seal around the edge could be the only difference by the exterior appearance. 

3 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

There is a good chance GM changed nothing and just made a cheaper A pillar. The lack of the rubber seal around the edge could be the only difference by the exterior appearance. 

Without being able to see it more clearly, that would be my guess too. Automakers sometimes do a lot of cheapening near the end of a model.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jman093 said:

Without being able to see it more clearly, that would be my guess too. Automakers sometimes do a lot of cheapening near the end of a model.

Since I make bad financial decisions, I’m gonna get it and see what happens, don’t worry I’ll keep you guys updated