Best year Grand Prix?

rcLord510

So currently I’m looking at an 03 gtp. And I just had a thought, are there any issues that would come from it being an 03, moding wise? Not sure if they did any emissions stuff later in those cars years that would make moding harder. I’m sure I could tune out that stuff, and it’s not a total dealbreaker for me, but just thought I’d ask

also, anyone know of any led headlights that look just like factory? Or just brighter headlights in general? Maybe HID’s? Any links or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

5 hours ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

So currently I’m looking at an 03 gtp. And I just had a thought, are there any issues that would come from it being an 03, moding wise? Not sure if they did any emissions stuff later in those cars years that would make moding harder. I’m sure I could tune out that stuff, and it’s not a total dealbreaker for me, but just thought I’d ask

also, anyone know of any led headlights that look just like factory? Or just brighter headlights in general? Maybe HID’s? Any links or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Every model year has it's ups and downs.  As long as you can deal with the "downs", and have some appreciation of the "ups", you'll be fine.

I have zero regard for cheap-junk Communist Chinese headlight modifications, which may put out more lumens, but tend to be poorly-focused causing problems for everyone you're behind, and all oncoming traffic.  This is ten times worse when some damned dirtbag installs deliberately blue-tinted bulbs which are against the law but popular anyway.

FIX the headlights you have--verify that they're getting proper power (what is the voltage at the socket, compared to system voltage?  Headlights are rated for light output at 12.8 volts, and rated for service life at either 13.2 or 14 volts depending on which country you're in.  Lotsa headlights are getting 11.x volts instead of 13.x, no wonder they're dim.) Assure that they're AIMED PROPERLY, and perhaps replace the bulbs because bulbs get dimmer as they age--metal particles are thrown off of the filaments (Thermionic Emission) and end-up stuck to the inside of the glass bulb which then blocks light from getting out.  If the reflectors are in poor condition, that also reduces light output.  And clean the lenses; replace them as needed if they're degraded by UV light like virtually all of them now.  Fookin' Ford and their proposal to Government, whereby they got approval to use the cheapest, crappiest clear plastic for headlight lenses, and most other car manufacturers followed in Ford's footsteps.

Edited by Schurkey

2 hours ago, Schurkey said:

Every model year has it's ups and downs.  As long as you can deal with the "downs", and have some appreciation of the "ups", you'll be fine.

I have zero regard for cheap-junk Communist Chinese headlight modifications, which may put out more lumens, but tend to be poorly-focused causing problems for everyone you're behind, and all oncoming traffic.  This is ten times worse when some damned dirtbag installs deliberately blue-tinted bulbs which are against the law but popular anyway.

FIX the headlights you have--verify that they're getting proper power (what is the voltage at the socket, compared to system voltage?  Headlights are rated for light output at 12.8 volts, and rated for service life at either 13.2 or 14 volts depending on which country you're in.  Lotsa headlights are getting 11.x volts instead of 13.x, no wonder they're dim.) Assure that they're AIMED PROPERLY, and perhaps replace the bulbs because bulbs get dimmer as they age--metal particles are thrown off of the filaments (Thermionic Emission) and end-up stuck to the inside of the glass bulb which then blocks light from getting out.  If the reflectors are in poor condition, that also reduces light output.  And clean the lenses; replace them as needed if they're degraded by UV light like virtually all of them now.  Fookin' Ford and their proposal to Government, whereby they got approval to use the cheapest, crappiest clear plastic for headlight lenses, and most other car manufacturers followed in Ford's footsteps.

There are better headlights than the stock ones, I am not gonna cheap out; but I don’t want stock, I want something that doesn’t look stupid but works very good, and maybe the stock ones would but I would rather just switch over to leds or HID’s. 

Never really had issues with my stock headlights in my 2000 GTP. Seem like they were always plenty bright enough. These modern day vehicles have headlights that are way too bright. 

After 2000, the performance shift went away. 2001 got the new steering wheel design. HP and torque figures remained the same from 1997 to 2003 for the GTP at least not sure of other models. 

1997 was a bit of a strange year, and there are some one year only things on those cars. Like the air intake and the tire pressure monitor. 

1998 to 2000. Was pretty much the same. 

2001 to 2003 is pretty much the same. Different steering wheel, no performance shift, and by 2002 the coupe was dropped. No coupes for 2003. 

When I was looking for a GTP, my search was pretty much focused on a 2000 GTP. That was my personal preference. As I wanted the old steering wheel and performance shift. 

Edited by 94 olds vert

6 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

Never really had issues with my stock headlights in my 2000 GTP. Seem like they were always plenty bright enough. These modern day vehicles have headlights that are way too bright. 

After 2000, the performance shift went away. 2001 got the new steering wheel design. HP and torque figures remained the same from 1997 to 2003 for the GTP at least not sure of other models. 

1997 was a bit of a strange year, and there are some one year only things on those cars. Like the air intake and the tire pressure monitor. 

1998 to 2000. Was pretty much the same. 

2001 to 2003 is pretty much the same. Different steering wheel, no performance shift, and by 2002 the coupe was dropped. No coupes for 2003. 

When I was looking for a GTP, my search was pretty much focused on a 2000 GTP. That was my personal preference. As I wanted the old steering wheel and performance shift. 

Maybe I’ll have to give them a shot, and yeah I really like the first gen wheel, don’t like the new one, i may swap the 97-2000 wheel. I’m lookin at an 03, and its pretty clean, I think im just gonna deal with the woes of the 03 year and change the wheel; some stuff I think is different with the interior I think, like zzps gauge pod is only 97-02 for some reason…

32 minutes ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

Maybe I’ll have to give them a shot, and yeah I really like the first gen wheel, don’t like the new one, i may swap the 97-2000 wheel. I’m lookin at an 03, and its pretty clean, I think im just gonna deal with the woes of the 03 year and change the wheel; some stuff I think is different with the interior I think, like zzps gauge pod is only 97-02 for some reason…

Pfyc makes a gauge pod for a 2003. I forget the exact reason why 03s are different. 

These days the best GTP is going to be one that's been taken care and rust free. The year doesn't matter so much these days. You can change almost anything from 97 to 03 on these cars. 

I've owned mine for over 10 years. It's been a great car and I enjoy driving it. 

I am not sure if the GP's had the same ABS system, but I had two 98 Regal GS' and both of them had ABS module issues that I could not resolve.  I think it was a 98-only system, but I'm not sure.

12 hours ago, pwmin said:

I am not sure if the GP's had the same ABS system, but I had two 98 Regal GS' and both of them had ABS module issues that I could not resolve.  I think it was a 98-only system, but I'm not sure.

1997 Grand Prix used the Delphi DBC-7 ABS system. 1998 switched the the Bosch 5.3 system that was infamous for module failures. Bosch 5.x is a super common ABS system that was used by nearly every automaker in that era, and they were all notorious for bad modules. It also didn't support tire pressure monitoring, which is why 1997 is the only year to have that feature.

In any case, here is a pretty detailed list of yearly changes:

https://zzperformance.com/blogs/import1/96-07-gtp-model-differences